• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question from the Edge

Flash Harry

Hi

This is one for the retro Gerber Edge users.:rock-n-roll:

I have an early Edge one that has a problem. :omg: It will power up and the fan runs, but the display only shows blocks and the controls do not respond. It does not make any of the beeps it would normally when starting up.

I would guess we can rule out power supply and head issue from this but just wondered if anyone has had a similar problem and what caused it?

Thanks for help all

:thankyou:

CBurr

Its probably a bad keypad. Also try holding the reset button while turning on machine to reset to factory defaults.

I'm not certain but you may be able to use a LE or edge2 keypad to keep it going. (i don't know if they are still available)

Also for the old classics and trunion models (the ones that weigh alot) you can use a LE cpu board but you must swap two chips from the old board, IC 26 and 27 (they are the firmware chips) they are about halfway up the left side of board. If you don't swap them you'll have z axis errors and the machine won't boot up.

Flash Harry

Im happy to report another fix to close this thread off, alls well that ends well!

Cleaning the inside of the Edge didn’t solve the problem. However, I took the keypad apart (as I managed to find someone who remanufactures them, The Keypad Magician, listed on ebay sometimes) to get the model number and it has come back to life!

I had to peel some of the laminates apart on the actual Keypad so it could have been that one of the buttons was stuck down or not connecting. Anyway, it fixed the issue so one perhaps for anyone finding themselves with a similar problem.

Thanks to Tony Teveris and CBurr for putting me on the right track!

Tel

Good to here you got it fixed, was it the original edge that opens up sideways not front to back. I used one for a while but bought a factory reconditioned edge1 I think it is after the original blew a few boards in a big way, at that stage it needed a head as it was leaving a line down the middle, might have the machine lying about somewhere haven't seen it for a while though, the keypad should be good. By the way a blade holder for your cutter is on the way to you, the ribbon was shot I'm afraid, sorry it took me so long to dig it out, but it was freezing in my garage where it was dumped behind loads of motorcycle, scooter and R/C model helicopter and planes.
be good or be careful
Tel

Flash Harry

Yea, its the original one that opened sideways. I used to have one of these that the power supply went up in smoke once before as well. Was a work horse before that so hope to squeeze a bit of life out of this new phoenix.

Only just read this now and as the PM said, the blade holder and board are now with their new owner. Thanks again Tel, you can stay in the warm now ;)