• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question MacHeads - Data From New Mac to Old Mac?

Geary

Helo Fellow Sign Makers! Long time no see! :)
Although I'm firmly entrenched into my art studio work I am constantly getting asked if I "still do signs?". Well, of course I (we) do! Once a sign painter/maker ALWAYS ....right?
So, as some of you recall, I'm a Mac guy (was Mac/PC/Linux at one time combine). I have an old G4 with perfectly good LXi software on board that still operates beautifully for cutting with my old SW 30" Panther cutter. I'm getting some word-of-mouth customers over here in the little village where my art studio is who've found out that I do signs. Well, since the money is quick and good (as always) I'm getting people sending me all these "modern" files in either vector or hi-rez bitmaps. And I want to integrate. Will just hooking my fairly new iMac to my old G4 with an ethernet cable suffice as far as transporting simple vectors? I have been burning stuff to a CD and that's ok...but, it sure would be spiffy to directly communicate via cable. Thanks in advance for your help my good (long lost) friends! :)
~Gear

mpn

I'm not sure if the hard drives are the same as a Mac Pro, but when my mac pro crashed, we use a external drive that accepts the hard drive. Sabrent data to usb adapter

DSC

What the heck is a "CD"?

What is a "CD"?????

Im just kidding! Don't all bash on me at once..

If you have a dropbox account I would just use that.. they will give you some amount free (2gigs) I think and then you can transfer them from one computer the the cloud based hard drive (Dropbox) and then download them to the new computer .. No cables, no ethernet hub, nothing ..

It costs you no money, and it will solve your problem..

Other than transferring all the data form your computer to an actual external hard drive and connecting your newer computer to that.. This is the best solution..IMO ..

Good Luck!

https://www.dropbox.com/

TimToad

Just be sure that the versions of Illy, etc. you will be trying to use are supported by the OS on the computer you are transferring everything. It would suck to transfer all that stuff over and find out your software is too old to run on the newer OS.

Geary

@DSCI, 'm transferring to an "old" computer...not the other way around. @MPN...my old computer won't communicate via USB. As stated earlier, the oldie but goodie is running my old cutter and it's not connected to the internet. I want it to receive data directly from my new Mac. But, thanks for the replies nonetheless guys! :)

Rick, thanks man...you got my answer. Ethernet hub looks like the solution. ;)

All y'all RAWK!!!! Just like always!!! ;)

~Gear

DSC

@DSCI, 'm transferring to an "old" computer...not the other way around. @MPN...my old computer won't communicate via USB. As stated earlier, the oldie but goodie is running my old cutter and it's not connected to the internet. I want it to receive data directly from my new Mac. But, thanks for the replies nonetheless guys! :)

Rick, thanks man...you got my answer. Ethernet hub looks like the solution. ;)

All y'all RAWK!!!! Just like always!!! ;)

~Gear
aaaaaaahhhhhhhh .......

Mainframe

You can ad a usb card in a G4 Mac really easy and you will be glad you have it, you could then thumb drive any files, but you wifi router hub should work also.

Geary

Yes indeed TimToad...that would and DOES suck because I can't operate my old (but good) software on anything newer than OS 9. Also part of the equation here when considering transfer of data. Thanks so much again you guys. This has really made me miss good ol' "101"... ;-)