• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on an install technique

Dennis422

Hi guys. For the first time I have to install big 4' tall and 10' wide decals.
It is printed and cut Avery 1005 RSEZ with DOL 1360 laminate. They will be installed on the sides of the box trucks with some rivets.

My question is, use a middle (vertical) or a top (horizontal) hinge?
I will have helper, for cleaning of the surfaces and for getting the decal up and ready for installs. He can help me with holding the transfer tape tight if middle hinge is used.

How would you instal this?

Thanks

I just installed these today on a friend's snowmobile trailer with 3M IJ180. They were 155" x 30" and I center hinged them and applied them with the use of a helper. Fortunately there were no rivets and it took about a half hour to clean and a half hour to install. I could have done it myself using magnets had it not been an aluminum surface, but regardless, two is better than one in these situations.

Attachments

• 20150128_133836 small.jpg
    20150128_133836 small.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 59

Dennis422

This one went pretty easy. With help is no problem.
Luckily, there were no rivets involved. Out of 13 trucks that get these big decals, 10 of them do not have rivets. (Only a few on the back roll up door)

Attachments

• IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 65

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Guess I didn't realize it was cut vinyl...in that case you CAN tape a hinge horizontally across the top, then cut vertical strips and lay pieces at a time. This is especially beneficial if you only have one set of hands installing a big graphic. Obviously, this won't work for a large decal, or any cut vinyl with a long horizontal piece in it that can't be cut.

Attachments

• TOP HINGE.jpg
    TOP HINGE.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 54