• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on channels when wrapping vans

cooltouch

Hey everyone we are new to the board. See Alot of great stuff here! We have been using Avery 1005 ez Rs and 1360 laminate (trying to get the guys to switch to ij180cv3 ). when it comes to doing channels on vans, we properly clean, temperature control the garage, use primer when needed, but we keep having problems with channels lifting in spots. It's not big but it's minor spots that drives us crazy.

What's the best way to combat this problem? We have learned over time to drop the vinyl into the channel without heating to not affect the memory of the vinyl and we are also told to heat the channel and hit it with the glove, roller pro, card what have you...but still they pop up. Is this Avery's vinyl or error on our part? Thanks in advance!

cdiesel

Install into grooves and channels without stretching whenever possible. Work the vinyl into the grooves in a relaxed state and it will never come out.

There are some instances where you must stretch. Properly clean the channels, use some primer, and install with as little stretch as possible. Apply without any bubbles, and post heat the areas, reburnishing with firm pressure.

cooltouch

Appreciate it! We do try to keep the vinyl in its relaxed state as much as possible. We are convinced it is the Avery ez "Rs". We are just wondering if we need to take a look at perhaps switching to just Avery ez or a completely different brand full time (3m / oracal)

wedosigns

We don't use primer unless with with 3m wrap materials. I have been told it will break down the adhesive 1005 ez. Don't know for sure, but we don't use. Keep lifting, heat a little and lay it in(glass then squeegee). Post heat, post heat, post heat.
A good ir thermometer is real handy to make sure you post heated to the temp.

HulkSmash

We don't use primer unless with with 3m wrap materials. I have been told it will break down the adhesive 1005 ez. Don't know for sure, but we don't use. Keep lifting, heat a little and lay it in(glass then squeegee). Post heat, post heat, post heat.
A good ir thermometer is real handy to make sure you post heated to the temp.

breaks down adhesive on oracle. Not Avery.

also don't bride, work it into the channels. Good luck .

Bly

Our supplier says don't use the EZ RS cos the adhesive will thin too much with the air egress adhesive - use the plain 1005.

4R Graphics

We use the Avery on several wraps had no problems with lift.
We also do it right and work it into the channels as much as possible then heat and put it into the channels and POST HEAT that is the big key.

Just remember you dont want to stretch the vinyl more than 130% to 150% max and on the IJ180 stuff try to stay in the 120% or less range.

Patentagosse

I had some minor issues with 3M, Oracal and Avery. I think a part of the problem is the temperature range in my country. Summer may be around 30°/36°C while it drops down to -25°/-35°C in winter. That's a huge difference. Sprinters are the worst of the bunch. The lower corners near tail lights are giving me hard times... I figure the one made in FL state are more "stable" shrinking-wise...

petesign

I've seen people run a thin line of premask on the vinyl where they lay it into channels... keeps you from being able to stretch it. I don't do my installs though, so don't have a lot of experience there. One of my installers likes it that way, one doesn't.