• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on how to wrap this area.

Dennis422

Purchased the new vehicle few weeks ago and looking to wrap it in the next few weeks (Work permitting, slammed right now)
The question I have is specific to this car, later models only. It is a Ford Flex with recessed letters on the rear door panel. See attached image.

I do not know should I just heat the vinyl and push in, or should I just cut them out?

Any valid suggestion will be appreciated.
Using Avery 1005 RS/EZ and DOL1360

Thanks

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 7.47.07 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-09-15 at 7.47.07 AM.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 144

Dennis422

Instead of fighting with an US Cutter guy, can someone chime in here?

Any pointers would be appreciated

rjssigns

If I was doing it I'd take some laminated scraps and give it a shot. You'll figure out right quick how not to do it.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I run either Magnetic strip (if it's metal) or tape up a thin styrene to cover recessed letters like that, and then wrap, especially on Ford Super Duty trucks.

Dennis422

I run either Magnetic strip (if it's metal) or tape up a thin styrene to cover recessed letters like that, and then wrap, especially on Ford Super Duty trucks.

Thought about that, but if anyhow possible, I would like to keep that recessed.

Will try to use some scraps to practice.
I was just hoping someone will see the post that had already done newer Ford Flex :(

Bly

1460 lam on Avery might be a bit less inclined to pull back out.
I'd use 3M vinyl with primer if I had to do it though.

formanek

Design the wrap with the customer understanding that the deep recess area can not be easily wrapped. I would bridge the material over the deep recess. Cut the wrap all the way around the areas and then put those cut pieces in the deep recess flat. That would just have the 90% edges not covered but the bottom of the recess and the rest of tail gate would be. That would look a lot better than the wrap pulling away or being overly stretched.

Dennis422

Design the wrap with the customer understanding that the deep recess area can not be easily wrapped. I would bridge the material over the deep recess. Cut the wrap all the way around the areas and then put those cut pieces in the deep recess flat. That would just have the 90% edges not covered but the bottom of the recess and the rest of tail gate would be. That would look a lot better than the wrap pulling away or being overly stretched.

It is actually my car, no need to explain it to the customer :)
Also, this is sooooooo thin, that cutting and recessing would not make much difference.

In the meantime, design changed a bit, it will be covered by a black brushed metal vinyl.

Dennis422

Is there some kind of filament that can be used to fill that area before it is wrapped.
Caulk or something (Please do not laugh, if I knew I would not ask) :)

But I would like to be able to remove it when the wrap is taken off. Of course

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I don't get why you want the recessed letters to show.... I would simply cover it and wrap instead of fussing over it.

Dennis422

I don't get why you want the recessed letters to show.... I would simply cover it and wrap instead of fussing over it.

I have realized that showing will not be possible. I asked in my last post how to fill them in, and then I would wrap over them.

I'm not sure if there will be any issues with vinyl if I just wrap over them when they are not filled in.

TampaVinyl

I have realized that showing will not be possible. I asked in my last post how to fill them in, and then I would wrap over them.

I'm not sure if there will be any issues with vinyl if I just wrap over them when they are not filled in.

Cover the letters with thin Styrene like eahicks suggested earlier.

Kwiksigns

wookie
if it was my vehicle, I would trim out the letters and just leave them chrome. I don't think putting any type of caulking would be a good idea.

Nuagedesigns

I would suggest away from using any sort of caulk or filler. If applied properly you should have no issues with that. Sounds as though you are quite new to vehicle wraps. Do some research on youtube for deep channle installtaions. Get your self a nice smooth wrap glove and print out a larger enough practice panel and go at it with your finger and a glove. There is no better tool in my application bag than my wrap glove. Be sure to understand the process of pre heating and post heating the vinyl to correct temputeres for propper adhesion. As long as this area of your wrap doesnt include any text I think it will look fine and show to your customers that you can tackle such things as grooves like this. (if it it is done correctly) . Pull the emblem and the rear-view camera, and you might want to put a little bit of primer in the letters FLEX other than that have at it.

Best of luck and this is your own vehicle so practice. practice. practice.

Dennis422

I would suggest away from using any sort of caulk or filler. If applied properly you should have no issues with that. Sounds as though you are quite new to vehicle wraps. Do some research on youtube for deep channle installtaions. Get your self a nice smooth wrap glove and print out a larger enough practice panel and go at it with your finger and a glove. There is no better tool in my application bag than my wrap glove. Be sure to understand the process of pre heating and post heating the vinyl to correct temputeres for propper adhesion. As long as this area of your wrap doesnt include any text I think it will look fine and show to your customers that you can tackle such things as grooves like this. (if it it is done correctly) . Pull the emblem and the rear-view camera, and you might want to put a little bit of primer in the letters FLEX other than that have at it.

Best of luck and this is your own vehicle so practice. practice. practice.

Thank you!!! I have installed graphic on pretty intricate pieces but never did a full wrap. I have and I have used a wrap glove before, so that should not be an issue.
Also, it should be a bit easier because this will be a color change wrap, no worrying about where the letters would be.

Thanks again