• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on installing window perf

parrott

We installed some perf on the back of our company truck and everything went down smooth. In the light I notice some spots where it looks like the laminate is touching through the holes in the perf and making contact with the glass. Looks like air bubbles but aren't. Is this common? What can you do to prevent it? Used Oracal per/lam with a felt squeegee.

Graphiki

I had asked 3M about that during a training course and they told me that it goes away.
I'm still not convinced on that.
If you can hold it off the flaw as you install it, it usually helps.

401Graphics

Yea i heard it goes away too. Never seen the vehicle afterwords to see if that was true. Oracal has come out with a thicker optically clear lam called 297GF that is 0.75mil thicker that 290GF for use on perf so it does not sink into the holes.

J

john1

Had this issue before, Doesn't go away.

I am sure it's from pressing too hard but i don't do many perf installs so i don't know for sure but that's what i was told is the issue.

parrott

So I guess the best thing is to not apply with much pressure? We were not using much pressure to begin with, but I guess we will try using less. Is it better to use a felt squeegee or regular plastic squeegee? Thanks for the info! Any other tips?

Graphiki

I sometimes get better results with a regular squeegee... but will scratch.
If you take a regular squeegee and go to a fabric store and get some micro suede and use banner tape to wrap one side.
It's thin and still lets you get good pressure on all films.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Hard teflon squeegee. We use Geek Wrap ones. Not too much pressure. We also never seal the edges and have never had an issue with them coming up. What we do is after cleaning the window perfect with alcohol, we put about 3/8" of primer 94 around the edge.

tsgstl

What we do is after cleaning the window perfect with alcohol, we put about 3/8" of primer 94 around the edge.

THANK YOU

I have only really had problems with Fellers house brand (solvex?) but it was a entire fleet of vans. Their solution was edge tape, looked like x#^$% and I lost that customer. Now I think they have a disclamer (yeah thanks) Every time I put down window perf I hold my breathe.

As for the op, most inconsistencies I have had usually even out with time.

parrott

Thank you all for the feed back. We work very little with perf, but have two vehicles to do this week and next. Just want to make sure it looks and functions perfect.