Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Question on laminated vinyl signs...

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by TomK, Oct 20, 2020.

1. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Hey Folks,

I've been working with a small customer of mine that required some laminated vinyl signs for their facility that they can use industrial cleaner on and not worry about the colors coming off. Basic stuff, use overlam and not a problem, however...

After a couple different cleaning tests they've done, they are saying that the cleaning solution is starting to penetrate the edges of the sign, like it is getting under the edge of the laminate.

Is there something else that can be done, I've never had this complaint to date, but I don't think I've ever had a customer do this sort of testing on our stuff. I'm using Substance 3755 with 3150 overlam.

Thanks!

Tags:
  2. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Had a similar situation about a year ago. They said, they'd use mild detergent on the signs from time to time to clean them, since its a food manufacturing plant.
    Yep, no problem. Got a call about a week later telling me the stuff is coming off. Wha....?? I said, these signs are 15' in the air. What is going on in your place ?? Well, maintenance wanted to test them, so they cleaned them. With what ????? Oh, they used an industrial cleaner with the power washer. How close were they ?? About 3' away. WHY ????? They were perfectly clean and wouldn't get messed up for at least a year.

3. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    Can you use some type of liquid edge sealer if it's just a couple signs?

4. Robert Armerding

Robert Armerding Merchant Member

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    The SEALIT Edge Sealing Pen might be worth a try.
    Or, the 3M Edge Sealing Tape 8914
    It may be too late.

5. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    LOL, typical right? They are hand "wiping" these down, on a daily basis...so not sure if I can really solve that problem.

6. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Thanks Stacey, this is something they would apply after putting the sign in place, right? I assume?

7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Sounds like they need to be pocket laminated. Or try having the laminate extend over the edge of the print a 1/4"

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    Thanks, I have a 1/8" white border around the print already.

9. De.signs Nanaimo

De.signs Nanaimo Member

Nov 25, 2010
    Nanaimo
    Yes some industrial cleansers have degreasers in them, which is basically glue remover.

10. Boudica

Boudica Member

Dec 21, 2018
    Spokane, WA
    I wonder if wrapping the vinyl around the edges of the substrate would work. Then there wouldn't be any edges exposed to be cleaned and lift up. the edges of the vinyl would be safely on the back of the sign.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    "Thanks, I have a 1/8" white border around the print already"
    But is the laminate cut to the same size as the print?
    I will do an overlap, so the laminate extends beyond the print.

12. Stacey K

Stacey K Getting Back in the Game

Jun 20, 2018
    Wisconsin
    That's correct, the options Robert mentioned are what I was thinking, specifically the Seal It pen. It's almost like clear nail polish like a paint pen.

13. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    What are these mounted on? Direct to the customer's gear or on your panels?

14. TomK

TomK Member

Sep 22, 2015
    Virginia
    They are applying the stickers to furniture.

15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    Wha?? I'm envisioning a couch getting sprayed by a guy in a hazmat suit with a pressure washer... I'm sure I'm wrong.

You could try one of the polycarbonate laminates like rtape's eclypse, but I imagine it will eventually have the same issue with glue failure. Perhaps you could substitute the prints with engraved dual color plates? This would most likely be cost prohibitive, but you never know.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1