• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on making/cutting stripes (long ones)

Status
Not open for further replies.

low_psi

Ok, last question(s) for the day. I am trying to make stripes approximately 27' long. 1.5" & .75" thick. I have been told the limitations of the US Cutter MH-721 plotter are 8'. So my questions here is pretty basic, can I cut these stripes with the plotter? What limits the plotter to 8'? Even if the plotter can cut them that long, is that really the best option? Doing small sample cuts over the past few days, I haven't been able to get the media in the plotter and have it track 100% straight. Manually feeding the vinyl thru the plotter it walks ever so slightly. I am guessing I am better off manually cutting these stripes by rolling the vinyl out on a table and using a straight edge and knife? If you guys think the stripes can be done on the plotter, what would be the best way to go about it. I really won't be disappointed if it simply can't be done on the plotter, as I had planned to cut manually anyway...

J Hill Designs

cutter quality is directly proportional to cut quality

read: you get what you pay for

if you can afford to waste the vinyl, try it once and see - if you can slow the cutter down, do it

Stanton

What limits the plotter to 8'?. . . it walks ever so slightly.

There you go.

Low priced machines are low priced for a reason.

Buy tools like a pro. Don't do anything on the cheep.

Your customers deserve the best. So do you.

low_psi

cutter quality is directly proportional to cut quality

read: you get what you pay for

if you can afford to waste the vinyl, try it once and see - if you can slow the cutter down, do it

I 110% understand the "get what you pay for". I bought the cheap cutter because I occasionally have registration numbers, graphics, etc and the job was going to cost almost as much to have done as it was to just buy the cheap cutter. I am ok (and had planned on) cutting the stripes with a straight edge. (I am color matching the stripes to powder coating and interior panels on the boat. I wanted as close of a match as I could get and all the striping kits I found simply weren't a close enough color match for me).

I guess my question was more of a “why won’t it work?” What is the limiting factor (length wise)? Is there a way to line the vinyl up so it tracks straighter? Maybe an industry trick….

low_psi

There you go.

Low priced machines are low priced for a reason.

Buy tools like a pro. Don't do anything on the cheep.

Your customers deserve the best. So do you.

No customers. This is for me and my personal use. Not a professional, just doing basic cuts that I was getting tired of paying for (to have others do). It walks because I haven't found a good way to insure the vinyl is perfectly straight to begin with. On a run close to 30' long the best plotter in the world will walk if the vinyl isn't 100% straight. Smaller jobs can walk a little and not make much difference. Over 30' the slightest bit will be huge over that distance. The plotter was not bought or intended to use for the stripes. Just figured if there was a trick to doing it and the plotter could handle it, it would save me a bit of time.

low_psi

maybe this will give you a glimpse at how simple this stuff isn't

Never mind. I have requested this thread deleted by a moderator. I was hoping to get some useful knowledge and/or hints, not a bunch of comments like "you get what you pay for" and the like. I received a lot of useful suggestions in a previous thread, however nothing but useless comments in this one.

Pat Whatley

Ignore the "get what you pay for" comments...they're coming from people who eat generic macaroni and cheese.

I have Summa plotters that I trust enough to let them cut full rolls of lettering unattended. I wouldn't trust them to run 27' long stripes. Even if your plotter is dead on accurate it doesn't take much fluctuation in vinyl tension to skew it minutely and with stripes that thin you don't have a lot of room for error.

low_psi

I have Summa plotters that I trust enough to let them cut full rolls of lettering unattended. I wouldn't trust them to run 27' long stripes. Even if your plotter is dead on accurate it doesn't take much fluctuation in vinyl tension to skew it minutely and with stripes that thin you don't have a lot of room for error.
That's pretty much what I thought. Even the professional plotters, a run like that is risky at best. Thank you very much for your comment. I appreciate the helpful comments. I will continue with my original plan to cut them by hand with a straight edge.

Sign Works

Why not just purchase roll striping, I would recommend Universal Products or Sharpline Converting. You can also purchase a Ronan Slitter to cut down roll striping to desired widths.

Attachments

• $_ 1.jpg
    $_ 1.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 113

low_psi

Thanks again for the useless comments. Seems there is a handful of know it all, keyboard jockeys in every internet forum.

low_psi

Why not just purchase roll striping, I would recommend Universal Products or Sharpline Converting. You can also purchase a Ronan Slitter to cut down roll striping to desired widths.

My previous comment (directly below yours, was not directed at you. It appears we were typing at the same time. I appreciate the helpful comments). I was unable to find the colors I needed... This is going on a 30' Offshore Performance boat that I just had all of the powder coating redone. I want an exact match to my powder coat and cockpit interior. The only way I could find it was to go this route. Again, I have no issue cutting it manually, just would have saved me some time and been cool if the plotter could handle it. But no big deal.... The slitter thing looks interesting. However, I would still have to cut my roll down to 2" first. In order to get a straight cut, I would have to put a straight 2" cut in there.. So I don't think it would work.... Its shouldn't be too bad cutting with a straight edge and knife on a table.......

Sign Works

My previous comment (directly below yours, was not directed at you. It appears we were typing at the same time. I appreciate the helpful comments). I was unable to find the colors I needed... This is going on a 30' Offshore Performance boat that I just had all of the powder coating redone. I want an exact match to my powder coat and cockpit interior. The only way I could find it was to go this route. Again, I have no issue cutting it manually, just would have saved me some time and been cool if the plotter could handle it. But no big deal.... The slitter thing looks interesting. However, I would still have to cut my roll down to 2" first. In order to get a straight cut, I would have to put a straight 2" cut in there.. So I don't think it would work.... Its shouldn't be too bad cutting with a straight edge and knife on a table.......

What specific vinyl brand and color are you needing? The two companies I mentioned carry colors most people are unaware of, these colors can be found on their Roll Striping Color Charts and not on their Sign Vinyl Color Charts. Also roll striping is exactly what the name says it is, it is available in various widths such as 1/4" , 1/2" , 1" , 2" , 4" , 6" and so on. Ronan slitters come in various sizes as well 2" , 6" , 12" etc and are fully adjustable to accomodate various widths. Another words you would not have to cut down your vinyl to 2" in the first place, you would simply order a 2" roll of striping vinyl. Also know that roll striping vinyl comes premasked to accomodate application. This is how we did automotive, RV & marine vinyl spriping in the pre-computer days and some occasionally still do.

low_psi

The colors I am using is a Sapphire blue, but the 3M Sapphire Blue was not a good match and a Kiwi Green. The brand I am using is my local distributors house brand (cast). If I am unable to slit it by hand I will explore the slitter option. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.