• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on Materials for Outdoor sign

grabutty

Hi there folks!

I want to donate a sign to a kids camp in my area. The sign needs to be approximately 36w x 24h. It is going to hang outdoors on a wooden post (probably telephone pole sized) for the week of the camp. Probably reused next year, but will not need to remain outside through the winter.

I have been considering a few options for sign material. Aluminum is the most affordable for me, but I don't know that 0.04 aluminum is really durable enough for this application. I found some 0.08 aluminum blanks (which seem durable enough for anything), but I am just not sure about the look and feel (I mainly work in window and vehicle lettering, not signs, though I have made a few).

MDO was another option. Not sure how easy it is to work with vinyl on MDO (primed).

Anyway, if you have any thoughts... the perfect sign material for a simple low-use outdoor sign that has to be hung and taken down and rehung easily.. I would reeeeeaaaaaallllyy appreciate the help.

Thanks a million!

grabutty

Mosh

.080 for sure. .040 is too thin to post mount. MDO, you'd have to paint it, the .080 comes prefinished.

.040 aluminum would be too flimsly, IMO. If it's going to be mounted directly to the post, I'd use dibond or alumalite. If it's going to be hanging from a sign bracket so that it swings, I'd use MDO for the extra weight. Otherwise I'd stick with the dibond or alumalite panels to avoid painting/prep involved with MDO.

Flame

.080 would be great, or MDO but you DO have to paint it.... honestly not that bad though, few minutes with a roller and you're done.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I would not use any aluminum products near where kids are gonna be present.... especially an area which is dedicated to kids. That material can hurt, puncture and do lots of damage if something goes wrong... like a sign falls on a kid's head or someone pokes an eye out with it.

I'd look into the MDO possibility and use the pre-painted type and then seal the edges real good. Sure, it can fall and give a kid a lump on the head, but it won't slice a head in half...............
You could also use 10mm or 13mm Cor-X. It's very strong and lightweight.

PVC's and other plastics won't last long and will probably warp in a thinner millage.

Flame

I would not use any aluminum products near where kids are gonna be present.... especially an area which is dedicated to kids. That material can hurt, puncture and do lots of damage if something goes wrong... like a sign falls on a kid's head or someone pokes an eye out with it.

I'd look into the MDO possibility and use the pre-painted type and then seal the edges real good. Sure, it can fall and give a kid a lump on the head, but it won't slice a head in half...............
You could also use 10mm or 13mm Cor-X. It's very strong and lightweight.

PVC's and other plastics won't last long and will probably warp in a thinner millage.

I buy 2x3 blanks from PCP, rounded edges, nothing sharp? No worse than a crosswalk sign...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I buy 2x3 blanks from PCP, rounded edges, nothing sharp? No worse than a crosswalk sign...

I'm happy for ya Flamey that it has worked for you, but after you're around the block a few times like some of us.... you tend to see why this stuff is being used less and less for playground or park signs, pool signs and any other places kids congregate. Many things considered safe are now being rethought. Heck, they even took the lead out of paint.... why was that again ?? Oh yeah, kids were eating window sills and getting sick.

Working with a dozen or so municipalities on a local scale and many other from around the country... there is a definite downturn to aluminum signs in these types of applications. Sure, street signs and the kind you're talking about are fine.... they're grenerally totally out of reach and are very securely installed by professionals, but the OP here needs a sign for a kid's camp and the sign will be hung temporarily..... Do you see a recipe for a possible disaster brewing ?? If not, you shouldn't give your kind of answers. :rock-n-roll:

Malkin

I would consider using a nice thick pvc, like around ¾". At that size & thickness warping shouldn't be an issue, and due to the weight, it hangs real nice. PVC plastic can be brittle in the real cold months, but if they are taking it down for the winter, that's not a problem either.

Also, thicker sign would look nicer on a beefy pole.

SignManiac

I'd want to know how high it will be hanging and what kind of hardware you intend to hang it from before I would recommend a good material choice.

Flame

If not, you shouldn't give your kind of answers.

Sorry for throwing out my input. I have a 2x3 sitting next to my desk, ain't too sharp. And he never said he was concerned about it, sooooooooooooo

but after you're around the block a few times like some of us.

I shudder to think of you as a man-ho Gino, really do. Keep those things to yourself aight? :rock-n-roll:

But props for gettin some.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Hi there folks!

I want to donate a sign to a kids camp in my area. The sign needs to be approximately 36w x 24h. It is going to hang outdoors for the week of the camp. Probably reused next year,
simple low-use outdoor sign that has to be hung and taken down and rehung easily..

grabutty

15oz.+ banner with pole pocket.

sjm

I'm happy for ya Flamey that it has worked for you, but after you're around the block a few times like some of us.... you tend to see why this stuff is being used less and less for playground or park signs, pool signs and any other places kids congregate. Many things considered safe are now being rethought. Heck, they even took the lead out of paint.... why was that again ?? Oh yeah, kids were eating window sills and getting sick.

Working with a dozen or so municipalities on a local scale and many other from around the country... there is a definite downturn to aluminum signs in these types of applications. Sure, street signs and the kind you're talking about are fine.... they're grenerally totally out of reach and are very securely installed by professionals, but the OP here needs a sign for a kid's camp and the sign will be hung temporarily..... Do you see a recipe for a possible disaster brewing ?? If not, you shouldn't give your kind of answers. :rock-n-roll:

Must not let kids play in a sand box, otherwise they'll never build up an immune system.

Them dogs pee everywhere.

grabutty

Thanks everyone for all the replies!!!!

Lots to think about here... (and a few laughs... THANKS for that TOO!) Lots to consider that did not cross my mind.

Might have more questions as i research all these great options, so bear with me, but you all totally rock!!!

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
If it's in a pathway, the sign must be 80" from the bottom of the sign no matter what material, this is generally a building code thing. On using aluminum, if it's 80", you do not need to worry about kids or corner rounding. If it in the brush, bushes, planting, you generally do not need to worry about kids.

Playground signs, pool signs and other signs where kids congregate still have to comply with mounting restrictions or be double posted or placed on a wall or fence or planting where kids have no access. Not everything needs to be rounded, but some common sense applies. I am all for compliancy and safety, but any nimrod can bump into a sign or post and gash their head.