• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on New JV33

ProColorGraphics

I am looking at getting a new JV33-160. I was wondering what people that have them think of the quality? I do mostly short run high quality prints, so the quality is one of the most important features for me. I am undecided between this printer and a Roland XC-540. I like that the mimaki is 10" wider and $3k cheaper (I would be getting the combo with the seperate cutter). Also, what do you think of the SS21 and the ES3 inks? I am leaning towards the JV33 witht the SS21 ink set. Any comments or suggestions would be greatly apprceiated.

Junkie

JV33 hands down, especially for the reasons you stated. Its a work horse, just like the JV3 it replaced. Always go bigger. You can always print smaller stuff on a larger printer, but you can never printer larger stuff on a smaller printer.

Zambookajoe

Ive bought a used one off of signs101 member. about 3 months ago and I was kind of un sure to buy one for about the last year But when I did my first job with it I was truely amazed at the time it saved me, the cost of production and the endless possiblities.

for the inks they smell pretty harsh but I have a small office with 2 windows so I installed a intake exhaust fan Into one window an TAHDAH
hardly smell it.

I truely love my mimaki I wouldnt sleep with her cause she stinks LOL

ProColorGraphics

I should have mentioned that I currently have a SV-300V and I am looking to upgrade into a bigger printer. I am just undecided on which one to go with. I know that the XC-540 can do some amazing prints, I just haven't seen a JV33 in person. Everyone has said that they absolutely love it, so I think that it is what I am leaning towards.

k.a.s.

I have the JV33 combo for over a year and love it as well, it has done everthing I need it to do.

Kevin

ProColorGraphics

I have decided on the getting the Mimaki. I am now wondering from users if you prefere the SS21 ink set or the ES3 ink set? I am trying to decide if I want to go with the strong solvent ink or the eco solvent ink.

vctradingcubao

What about the Roland Vertsaart RS-640? Do you think the quality would approximate that of the JV33-160? SInce you already have a Roland SP-300V, might be a good idea to go for another Roland (for inks and some parts compatibility/interchangeability). Plus, its got 4 heads, although smaller than the single head of the JV-33). Looking at the specs, it seems to be much faster too.

Brands Imaging

I have the 33 and i did have some problems with it in the beginning but advantage worked it out. Just be careful butting those 440mils in. if you push too hard and break a tab then the colors wont switch over properly.

other then that..go for the mimaki. especially if its also cheaper..its usually the other way around.

However, see how your buget is and a go even bigger with the next model up roland. i have not seen the quality of a rolan execept at a show but they look nice also.
The biggest thing I learned in printing is that customers dont see what you see. The dont look for banding and saturation and such...thats stuff we pick apart cause we are in the biz. I love my 33 but I would sure love to have 100+ inches.

just my .02

ProColorGraphics

I am going to be selling my SP-300V first. No matter what printer I get, I am going to be using a 6 color setup. I do a lot photo printing, so the 6 color is a must. I know the XC-540 can do some amazing prints, I just like the thought of having the 64" width. Just having the option to do a 5' banner, or when the wraps take off more in my area. My vendor had a special where I could get the XC540 for $28k, or the JV33 with a Mimaki cutter would be $26k. The rep told me he thinks the prints are about equal on both machines, so the thought of the wider machine and it being cheaper is making me lean that way.

Dice

JV33 is a great choice. We love ours. We use the SS21 inks in an enclosed space with no ventilation. We have the special captura air system on it and it works great, sucks up all the fumes and we have no issues.

ProColorGraphics

JV33 is a great choice. We love ours. We use the SS21 inks in an enclosed space with no ventilation. We have the special captura air system on it and it works great, sucks up all the fumes and we have no issues.

Do you notice where the SS21 wears out the printing parts faster? I have been told that the SS21 inks are a lot harder on the machine. ???

ProColorGraphics

I am definitely going to be using the 6-color setup. I think I am leaning towards the SS21 inks, plus with these I also have the option to use the White Ink if I want to.

Rooster

The 33 with the CMYKLcLm Eco-Sols is an excellent choice.

It's my first solvent machine and I'm very impressed with the print quality and the machine's firmware and ease of use and maintenance.

I produce a variety of products from cheapo banners to fine art reproductions and the quality is awesome.

ColesCreations

I agree- forget white. We had it in our JV3. It's something that probably will be used only a few times / year, and the printer sucks throught the cartridge at an alarming rate, maybe 2 months full to empty. That's one heck of a cost before even printing anything!

That, in addition to the clogging issue makes white ink a bad choice, in my opinion.

ProColorGraphics

I agree- forget white. We had it in our JV3. It's something that probably will be used only a few times / year, and the printer sucks throught the cartridge at an alarming rate, maybe 2 months full to empty. That's one heck of a cost before even printing anything!

That, in addition to the clogging issue makes white ink a bad choice, in my opinion.

Do you use the strong solvent or the eco solvent inks? That is the only part that I am still trying to figure out. I don't know which inkset to go with.

ColesCreations

Hi.
We use SS2 in our JV3. I think it's about the same as SS21, but correct me if I'm wrong.

It's stronger than the Eco Sols. If you have a fingerprint on the media, it will be enough for the SS2 ink not to "stick", but probably worse with eco. Aftermarket inks like Triangle, don't care about fingerprints and such, but are very high in solvents (and fumes).

Pretty much everything we print gets laminated, except banners and flag material, of course. If you do a lot of banners and stuff that's not going to be laminated, I would suggest solvent. With lamination, it should not matter much.

We are happy with SS2, but we vent the printer to the outside, and use a painters charcoal filter mask if we're in the room while printing. The fumes ARE harmful!

These are my opinions, that I have formed from firsthand knowledge with SS2, and research, mostly on this site. I have not tried aftermarket or Eco myself. I would think that the JV33 will be fine with SS21, as it comes with it from Mimaki. Do a search!

PS- are you sure you want 6-color? It's not really a fine art printer like a waterbased Epson, dual CMYK is a lot faster, and most people can't tell the difference, even with the prints next to each other... (At least on the JV3, but I guess I may be out on a limb here)