• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question on possible font reseller?

UpAndPrinting

I needed to purchase a font for a client and found it for sale across the net for $14-$17. But also found it for sale for $10 on Etsy from a seller account that looks like it specializes in selling fonts. They specifically mention not to resell the fonts in the listing so it looks like they could be the creator. I'm just skeptical because they took my $5 offer fast. I don't want to post the name here to promote the guy if he is. But I would like to know if he is a reseller or not. I've never been in this scenario before and wanted to know if this is normal. Thanks

Gettin'By

I do some 3D SLA printing on Etsy, and when I license a model they all require I credit the creator in the listing with a link to their website, patreon page, or similar. If it's a studio rather than an individual designer they also issue a commercial license number and certificate. I would think a font foundry would work the same, and if they don't state in the listing that they are licensed you could ask them about that and the font foundry that created the font. If they don't mention the foundry I would find it suspicious on Etsy. I know several of the designers I work with have mentioned folks on Etsy selling prints of their designs without being licensed and work to prevent it as best they can, and I can spot them. If the price is abnormally low, and no mention of being licensed, they likely aren't paying any royalties or monthly licensing fees. I've seen stuff from studios that don't have a commercial license tier.

UpAndPrinting

These are both excellent answers. Do you think David would be ok with an email from me showing him the Etsy listing and this post?

These are both excellent answers. Do you think David would be ok with an email from me showing him the Etsy listing and this post?
Whenever I get stuck identifying a font I sent him a JPG and what I think is close and he always knows what the correct font is. Then I go on his Identifont site and voluntarily contribute some money because he is worth it. When he ID's a font, if it is a foundary font, he always tells me I can buy it from so-and-so at their website. So I know he is legit.