• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question regarding installing Omega/Rainbow Sentinel

GB2

Old Member
Since I missed the 3.0 upgrade offer and now I've had a hard drive failure on my Gerber dedicated computer, I must install my Omega 2.1 software on another computer, which has never had any Gerber software before. When I attempt the first step, which is installing the Rainbow Sentinel I get a message that "There is a newer version of Rainbow Sentinel already installed, if you would like to install this older version instead then you must uninstall the other version first." My question is can I proceed with the already installed newer version or do I need to do something else?

I've got to just say that all Gerber software and hardware I've ever owned have always been excellent, very superior products, and I have plenty. The Rainbow Sentinel software thing however, has always been miserable torture to deal with and has always caused a great deal of anxiety and problems. I'm concerned about proceeding now for fear of damaging the dongle without the correct answer, which by the way, I can only get for a phone call answering fee of $60, and frankly, I don't think this question should be charged that amount so if anybody can offer some advice I'd sure appreciate it. Thanks!

Marlene

Tony from Gerber is offline and may not be working today so you might want to bump this as he is very nice and answers questions like this. when it comes to the rainbow sentinel, it can be a real pain and you'll want some good info before you try something. I don't think you can hurt the dongle with the wrong settings but I know I would be hesitant too to try it without knowing.

Tony Teveris

First I would unplug the security key any time you are installing the driver.

I'll assume that the driver that is installed is the latest from Rainbow (now SafeNet) and I do not think it will work with Omega 2.1. So with that I would uninstall the current and install the one off the Omega 2.1 CD, or as the Omega 2.1 install suggested it will install the older version from the CD.

When the install of the driver is complete then you can reconnect the security key.

Also after the install you want to configure the driver to only look at the security key type (paralllel or USB) that you have connected. I'll assume it's a USB key.

GB2

Old Member
Tony...thank you very much for your assistance...do you know why I would have Rainbow Sentinel on my PC that has never had Gerber installed or anything remotely similar which might have used it? I thought that was fairly specific to Gerber software, is it something that comes with Windows XP or anything like that? Would I be at risk of interrupting something else by installing an old version? I have had an ongoing issue with the computer that just had the hard drive failure where the spsrvnt.exe, or something like that, kept using all the resources of the computer and while searching for the problem I found that was connected to Rainbow somehow. My old computer just keeps on going and going and going, sounds like the hard drive was spinning and spinning due to that issue.

GB2

Old Member
Oh...one more thing...does the new 3.0 use the same tortureous Rainbow Sentinel dongle because if it doesn't I'm going to scrap all this and get the upgrade.

GB2

Old Member
Oh...and one more, one more thing....I do have a Mimaki dongle on the new PC that I'm trying to do the install on, could that possibly use the Rainbow Sentinel? I don't recall ever having to interact with Rainbow Sentinel during that installation though, and I do understand that you are not a Mimaki tech...thanks!

signage

Gary if you have any software on that computer that uses an aladin dongle that is why you have the Rainbow Sentinel Driver!

GB2

Old Member
Geez Brian....thanks...I just looked at my Mimaki dongle to see if it was an Aladin and right on the back of it, it says SafeNet...what a dummy...I guess that's where I got my SafeNet Sentinel from. OK, so now I know that and the picture is a little clearer, back to my original question, should I just go ahead with the Gerber installation on the new version of SafeNet that I have installed now that I know where it came from and that it might cause interruption with my Mimaki software? I'm definately not going to uninstall that newer version now.

GB2

Old Member
...and to answer the previous question, yes my Gerber dongles are all USB type Omega R base 2.1.0.22 version 2.1.0.28

signage

Gary You can try to install with that Drive but I do not know if it will work or not! You can always uninstall the other software install the gerber then reinstall the other software! I no that Gerber says that sometimes they have issues with other software but I have not had any problems!

One other thing if you belong to 4edgetalk you may want to go over there and ask same question!

GB2

Old Member
When I try to install the Gerber version of Rainbow (SafeNet) Sentinel, it only gives me the option of installing one version not multiple, so I definately can't afford to mess up my Mimaki configuration. Does this mean I can't install both softwares on the same PC? Hmm....no, that can't be because I had both on my old PC....but how did I do it?? I haven't installed any of these in literally a couple of years and I forgot all the tricky little details!