• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Regarding Outdoor stickers

vbc0527

Hi everyone.. im bryan.. currently i have a small sticker shop. and basically what we do are Computer-cut stickers only using a Roland Cam-1 servo. And right now we would like to invest for another machine. We are looking for something that would give us a printed sticker that can be used for outdoor purposes. as a newbie, i just want to ask what kind of printer does this and what type of ink does it use and is laminate really is needed. and also what we are targeting for this are small stickers only for motorcycles and midsized stickers for vehicles so were looking for something thats not that big probably a 42'' would do.. thank you very much!!!!! have a great day everyone.

vbc0527

Thanks GAC05... ill be checking that out.. by the way i know someone whose selling his used Roland sp540v for $4500. it has been used for 4 yrs now.. will it still last?? i know that roland products are one of the best... thanks

ThinkRight

Hi everyone.. im bryan.. currently i have a small sticker shop. and basically what we do are Computer-cut stickers only using a Roland Cam-1 servo. And right now we would like to invest for another machine. We are looking for something that would give us a printed sticker that can be used for outdoor purposes. as a newbie, i just want to ask what kind of printer does this and what type of ink does it use and is laminate really is needed. and also what we are targeting for this are small stickers only for motorcycles and midsized stickers for vehicles so were looking for something thats not that big probably a 42'' would do.. thank you very much!!!!! have a great day everyone.

You will need to laminate your stickers and signs.Unless you use a Summa or Gerber.
Both are Printer / Cutters.
I have the Summa, and have never used a Gerber.
But for what you are doing , these will be perfect

http://www.summausa.com/products/dc4sx.php
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cynwAQmrYT0

http://www.gspinc.com/edgefx/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHaBQ_3Jpqw

vbc0527

thanks for that ThinkRight for that.. but woooahhh.. not really sure but i think that would cost a lot of bucks.. right now im on a tight budget and i would only be able to afford used printers... i see, so laminates would really be neccessary.. thanks.. and by the way, is the laminate that would be used is the same as those like Oraguard laminating films??? and to i need to have a laminating machine or would i be able to do the laminates manually? thanks a lot for your help.. appreciate it....

Mosh

FYI Stickers are adhesive paper, are you doing vinyl graphics? There is a girl in Mizzou that does stickers, I think here name was Edna, she used to be on here...I hope she returns....blue.

vbc0527

yep... sorry bout that Mosh.. yes im referring to vinyl graphics... I hopr edna answers my question.. thanks

Sign Works

Thanks GAC05... ill be checking that out.. by the way i know someone whose selling his used Roland sp540v for $4500. it has been used for 4 yrs now.. will it still last?? i know that roland products are one of the best... thanks

A fully functional Roland sp540v for $4500, I'd jump all over that.
Of course first check the test print and the printout that shows how many times the heads have fired to determine the remaining head life.

vbc0527

ooops my bad... its actually the roland sp-300.. sorry about that, hehehe.. the guy said that the heads where all replaced brand new from roland.... ok thanks ill try that in case well have a deal

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
You can laminate by hand but it's never going to be quite as perfect as using a laminator. I think most use a "Big Squeegee" for hand laminating. And yeah, we make decals, stickers are for kids.

A solvent or eco-solvent printed decal will last for a year or two outdoors without laminate but could be far less depending on how often it gets cleaned. Laminated will last for several years.

vbc0527

thanx SightLine.... i see.. so laminates are really important.. by the way, regarding lamination, if for example ill be printing a 10x4inches decal, then cut it then weed, how bout the laminate? will the laminate be computer-cut as well then transfered to the printed decal? or what i need to do is, print the decal, laminate, then back to the plotter for it to be cut at the same time? thanks for all your replies...

MikeD

print> laminate> cut.
That's one draw back of a solvent ink print & cut device. The Summa or Gerber Thermal Transfer printers can apply a scratch coat prior to cutting. Solvent is cheaper, but the colors will not be as scratch resistant as the resins, so laminating is required for longevity. Having said that, I have some decals from our DC4SX that were printed with the metallic foil- I scratched at them only to see the vinyl fail before the resin. I haven't done the same scratch test from any of our Gerber prints though.
If you choose the thermal resin route, and your sticking to decals 4" in height or less, the Summa has the absolute best color to color registration, and being friction fed, it accepts a wider variety of media. (anything taller than 4" may have a slight dot overlap that some don't like.)
Also, the solvent inks will fade in the sun quicker than resins, so for out door decals you may want to use a lam with UV inhibitors in it.
Good Luck!