• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question regarding printer and encoder strip

Stormyj

Just another guy
Mine is an sc540 also and this strip works for it. Was easy to install. Comes too long, you have to trim it down and punch holes in it to mount, but I used an awl and it worked fine. Just use the old one as a template.

Ragnabrok

Since it's described for use with 74 and 54 inch printers, and the pictures show the ends being bare, i'd wager you'd have to cut it to length and punch holes for the mounts at either end. For that price, i'd say its worth the shot.

$600 sounds a bit steep for a dealer, the part itself should be closer to 300, and it only takes 10-15 mins to change.

player

You know it will probably work, but I would source a Roland one for less than $300. As an employee, why take the risk over a few hundred bucks that it fails, or you have printing gremlins? If it fails, you are the one responsible... There are some calibrations and other maintenance stuff that can be done. I recommend you bring in a Roland tech to swap it out, recalibrate and check the machine out thoroughly.

jfiscus

Rap Master
IIRC I bought a genuine Roland part encoder strip for right around $120 back in the day... I think we bought all of our parts from Nazdar.
Shouldn't be anywhere near the price you're looking at.

NormanL

It seems the only worry is how to cut the strip down to size and punch a hole in it with the tools we currently have.

jfiscus

Rap Master
It seems the only worry is how to cut the strip down to size and punch a hole in it with the tools we currently have.
Once you get the old strip out and lay them side by side it should be self explanatory.
The strip tension is held by a spring, so if it is a hair different size it should be just fine. Use the exacto like a drill IIRC (spin it with your fingers).
The sensor doesn't read all the way to either end, so as long as it counts the same amount of marks traveling right-to-left as it does returning left-to-right it will be happy.

NormanL

Alright guys job done

Took out encoder strip
Punched in holes / cut holes with a stanley knife
Flipped the strip and tightened the screws

Encoder strip successfully flipped.