• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions about a 20'x40" banner double sided

abadsvt

Hi everyone! I have a customer who has a large road sign off the freeway. They have asked me to make and install a 20'x40" double sided banner. My questions and concerns is this is going to be displayed for about 7 months and it can get windy at times. The banner will hang 15-20' off the ground inbetween to large wood poles they already have. Since the banner needs to be double sided i was going to make 2 banners then hem tape and grommett them together. I was going to use either rope or cable and make a sleeve top and bottom of the banner and run the rope or cable through it to support the banner. I am using 13oz banner. Does this sound strong enough? I am worried about the hem tape and grommetts coming loose if it got really windy but maybe i am just over paranoid. Any comments would be great.

Josh

ps. The banner needs to be done by this friday so i can't order a sewn banner in time.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You're asking and answering your own question.

there's no way in heck, I'd ever put a sign up that size only taped together. You are taking such a huge risk if anything goes wrong.

You're talking about 80 square foot of sail... 20' up in the air. That thing should be 19oz or greater, double sewn hems, with gusseted corner and clips to hang off the top and the bottom between two tightly strung cables. Otherwise, you're not meeting any kind of codes in any-town USA.

If you can't wait for right the banner to come in, that doesn't automatically give you a green light to make something sub-standard to whatever you want to do.

Yeah, I can't get tires for my truck by Friday, so I'll just put these bicycle tires on and hope for the best the next 7 months.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
What Gino Said.

Especially this...

"If you can't wait for right the banner to come in, that doesn't automatically give you a green light to make something sub-standard to whatever you want to do."

abadsvt

Thanks guys! What i did was i called my vendor and they are over nighting me some 18oz (thickest they had) and then i am going to contact a company to sew the banner after its printed. That way i am safe. Thanks for the comments!

gino as usuall is correct.........you need to do it right or not at all. gino tells you above what specs you need to a banner that size and for that kind of job.