• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Questions about Flexi / HP PrintManager

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Hey team, long time no chat.
Recently I've picked up some lil' part time work at a print shop and I'm trying to transition from my VersaWorks mindset to HP Flexi mindset - but it seems like Flexi/Project Manager is ridiculously and unnecessarily more complex than it has to be - or I'm just not understanding correctly.

Previous workflow would be: make a .pdf, drag and drop to VersaWorks, prep profile, tap "get media width" if it's odd, print. Bang, easy. If there is cutlines, I'd be using Roland's spot colour for it, easy as choosing Print, Print & cut, or Cut. Very straighforward and if I wanted to change head speed for different media or mess around with settings, no problem. The XR-640 was simple and didn't have a fancy profile interface, it was 100% from Versaworks. Even the cut pressure could be controlled on the computer. If it needs to be mirrored, one click.

Now, at this print shop I'm being trained on Flexi/HP, and I can't help but think this workflow is much more tedious. Make a .pdf, drag and drop to flexi - well the colours aren't working well for .pdf, so often they print from a .png. OK sure. So we've brought it into Flexi but now I have to manually input media size, manually pick where it falls on the media, since this is latex we add a little bar on the front of the first print of the day so the inks get consistently moving. If I want cut lines I'm dropping a second file on top with the cut lines (????) and aligning them, or adding a cut contour with the cut contour button, masking/unmasking things... it seems like I'm deconstructing the work I did in illustrator and building it back up again?

Then it's "send" to Print Manager. IN which I have to make all of these adjustments AGAIN. Choose media width, choose what colour to cut, mirror or step and repeat (unless you did it in flexi, then you don't want to do it again!) Not to mention now I have to be sure the media width includes space for pinch rollers (Versa/Roland does this automatically), leave the computer and go check if the printer has the right profile, now come back and make sure they match. What are those lines? Barcodes? Why would I even need to see this? Versa does it automatically and I don't have to think about it. Print manager seems super picky - too much stuff ripped, files that shouldn't be to large are too chunky for it to handle...

This CAN'T be the right workflow, right?

balstestrat

Problem Solver
No it's not.

Short version. Make sure your color space is same in both Illustrator and Production manager. Profile has to be somewhat close on the printer and printheads working well, color calibration done etc etc.
You do your file in Illustrator, add cutcontour if you need to, import it straight to Production manager, set your default settings to whatever you need to, roll width should come automatically as well as the material, cutcontour will be picked up automatically, choose your quality etc. It's not that different from VW.
If the cutter is using barcodes you just load your roll on the cutter and hit barcode button and it will do the rest.

Last edited:

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
Thanks. I was watching and asked "Surely I can just drag this into Production Manager right?" and he said no. :) Unfortunately I get the feeling that even though I have more years print experience, and have advised appropriate colour management and other adjustments / workflows, since I'm "new" in the space (and the only female) my opinions don't really matter. I think I'll stick to just the graphic design for them and they can snail the production themselves.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
You can also just use the same spot color you did on your Roland for the contour cut. Flexi will pick it up just like VW. Also, there is a button next to the media width options that gets the media size from the printer. Maybe HPs don't support that but I'd be surprised.