• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quick and dirty logo. Needs critique

natedawg9640

You folks are usually cutthroat, so give me a quick critique. It's a friend's little shop that sells and makes those aerial drones with the cameras on them for realty ad videos, aerial recon, or spying in the neighbors windows...

I spent about 10 minutes on it and it was the "first try" so I didn't really do the development process like i should have. Just wanted to know if the result is acceptable in the eyes of my peers. :) My friend is excited and said it's perfect as is... but so did the CEO of Arby's...

Attachments

• pro drone.jpg
    pro drone.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 108

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pretty nice. :thumb:

Personally, I'd like to see a little more of the 'O' in back of the graphic, but I guess all is well with it being almost completely blocked out.

Marlene

the image over the copy not good. if this was an everyday type business, it might work but because it isn't, it needs to be good and clear what they do. the services embedded also not a good idea. the little shadow under it all just isn't needed. try pulling what you have apart and so that it all isn't overlapping. the little drone image is good as it helps support the company name.

natedawg9640

the comment about the "everyday business" gives me a question to ask you all.

Now, I understand the point of simplicity, legibility, etc. such as the Nike swoosh, or the arches, or "HOME DEPOT" as everyday businesses seen out in public. Since this particular logo will likely only see the front page of a website and maybe some letterhead, should it conform to all the "print-esque" logo guidelines? I mean, people are likely going to know what the business is because they are physically going to search for it, not catch it out of their car window on a billboard. with web based businesses is there such a demand for instant product recognition as there is in other venues?

just as a conceptual map:
-As far as the layout goes, the quick thoughts that put the drone in front of the O is that the body of it is round so it makes the O. (this worked a little better till the PRO went to red i spose... but still)
-the shadow I agree with not being needed. he wanted a shadow. that was the only revision made. i decided on that shadow instead of hard shadow as the rotors are spinning and therefore it shouldn't be "on the ground"
-the drone itself it in the foreground and the background implying the stealth of the units and ability to be sort of... hidden or sneaky...
-likewise for the services.
-the biggest most important word in the logo i left the boldest and least hindered... "drone" as THAT is what the business is all about.

and no, i'm not defending the logo like some people do, by all means tear it apart. lol just wanted to communicate how things got there.

Marlene

the comment about the "everyday business" gives me a question to ask you all.

Now, I understand the point of simplicity, legibility, etc. such as the Nike swoosh, or the arches, or "HOME DEPOT" as everyday businesses seen out in public. Since this particular logo will likely only see the front page of a website and maybe some letterhead, should it conform to all the "print-esque" logo guidelines

that's why it is helpful when posting a design to say how the design will be used. if this was going on the side of a truck or a billboard, it would be hard for people to know what the business was. that is what I mean by everyday business vs something less than mainstream. this is the latter and most would not know what it is they are looking at. since the business will be found by those doing a search for this type of business, then it works as they all ready know what the company does.

natedawg9640

Thanks for that. I know you should design for color and for grayscale, for print and for web, small and large, etc... but I wasn't sure if the 'rules' follow EVERY venue equally. I don't do a lot of actual logo design as part of my day-to-day. Not that I don't want to (especially when I see what some people are currently using) lol... but when I have the opportunity to do so, I have to reach back into my brain and try and remember all the stuff they tried to ingrain into us in school.

MJzr

not much of a fan of the word "services" being inside the letters, looks kinda ugly to me.
i was going to mention that the covering of the end of pro might wanna be changed but then i realised you never mentioned in the post what it should say and i figured it out right away. the drone gives it some nice depth, looks pretty good dude.

Matt-Tastic

If it will be used in printing, i'd pull the word 'services' down to below as opposed to in the text. I'd also remove any shading (even in the props). A suggestion would be to extend the spacing between the words, to let the drone sit between them.

other than that, i think its pretty solid.

ironchef

Slide the pro to the left one space. So the drone is centered slightly overlapping the O and D. Try stretching services on the bottom from left to right. Or leave it as is but slide it down( like if it was on the ground). It'll really make it look like the pro drone is floating.

Jillbeans

Too much space between Pro and Drone.
Lose the weird computery drop shadow.
If you must stick SERVICES inside of DRONE make it white.
I think it needs a lot more work.
I would make the drone thingy centered above the name, more vector looking, and put SERVICES underneath for starters.
Love....Jill

ForgeInc

If you are gonna put the "round" part of the drone in front of the "O" seems you should either do one or the other, not both. (either lose the letter "O" completely or don't obscure it)

That said if you do lose the letter O I think your font either needs to tie more closely to the shape of the drone (maybe extended, and more round?) or be completely different, like a thin serif font then use the body of the drone for the "o"

Also, the word services tucked inside the letters looks pretty bad.

Good start, but it does kinda look like a first attempt that took a short amount of time.

TammieH

I like it...LOL all except for line of business...Maybe someone can start an anti-drone drone business! haha

weaselboogie

Im diggin it, just need some tweaking. I'd enlarge the front left blade to exaggerate the perspective, and I also think you need to see more of the R. I like that you incorporated the drone into the logo also. Don't know how I feel about the 'services'. Maybe just put it below the "DRONE"

Moze

Precision Sign Services
I'm not a designer - but wouldn't the drone be better placed as a substitute for the "O" in the word "DRONE". It just seems like you would want the object over the word it's representing.

"PRO" is such a short word, it seems like it would also be less distracting/cluttered if the drone were incorporated into the longer word, or at the very least, between the two words. ?

Edit: I changed my mind. I am now a designer. haha...

Attachments

• Drone.jpg
    Drone.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 100
Last edited: