• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

quick banner+laminate question.

we have a customer who insist's we laminate a banner we just did for them as the banner they are replacing was laminated apparently. i did explain it did not need laminating but........
anyways, should i spray lam or use the clear shield liquid lam? if i was to liquid lam it, once rolled and unrolled etc would the lam end up cracking or anything like that?
thanks!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Every banner that leaves this shop has a Clear Shield coating on it. It's never, ever, cracked or failed in any other way after countless unrolling, rolling, gag, folding, weather, or any other sort of torture.

this!!!
we have a customer who insist's we laminate a banner we just did for them as the banner they are replacing was laminated apparently. i did explain it did not need laminating but........
anyways, should i spray lam or use the clear shield liquid lam? if i was to liquid lam it, once rolled and unrolled etc would the lam end up cracking or anything like that?
thanks!

as i said above, i already explained to the customer, however he insists that we do it as he has had this done before and wants it doing again.

phototec

this!!!

as i said above, i already explained to the customer, however he insists that we do it as he has had this done before and wants it doing again.

Is the customer going to pay extra for this added feature, or is he contending, it should have been part of the original price?

he says he will pay the extra.
but now my local supplier is out of liquid lam(clear shot) and nobody else around here carries it. we ran out at the weekend and i was just going to buy more this week, but the client needs the banner for friday and the ups want be by here untill 6.30pm friday!

phototec

he says he will pay the extra.
but now my local supplier is out of liquid lam(clear shot) and nobody else around here carries it. we ran out at the weekend and i was just going to buy more this week, but the client needs the banner for friday and the ups want be by here untill 6.30pm friday!

Sounds like you need to up grade the UPS service to OVERNIGHT?

yeah, we asked about that but it was $58 to over night it which was more than the product was worth!
we've tried all 5 vendors in our area and nobody has it on the shelf apart from advantage which is where we got the overnight quote from.

i tried, and i explained etc.....he wants it and said he would pay for it.
now i have to source some liquid lam to get it done and back to him for friday. pity lowes doesn't carry it! we have one 5 mins down the road! oh well.

bob

No Need Whatsoever to laminate ecosol inks on a Banner! It is a Banner!

Not for UV issues but for abrasion protection. A coated banner is orders of magnitude harder to scratch than an uncoated specimen. You can put a visible scratch on an uncoated banner with a wayward fingernail. Merely rolling it up an putting in a tube is often sufficient to damage and uncoated banner. Moreover it takes less than 5 minutes and a few pennies worth of material.

What Clear Shield do You USE?

Original formula, nothing else works quite as well.

question for bob..
if i can't get clear shield, which i can't for the life of me for tomorrow/friday morning, is there any other type of liquid lam i can use?

bob

Do you roll it on? any suggestions would help since I have never laminated a banner YET. Thanks

Just mop it on with a foam brush and smooth it out with a light touch. With Clear Shield, less is more. You can and should thin it 20% with water and put it on as thin as you're able, thicker is not necessarily better. What you don't want are any puddles of any size. Don't worry so much about smooth, if you do it right it levels itself out.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you are boxed into a corner and the banner has not been hemmed or grommets installed you can laminate it with regular film.
When I had a waterbased printer I used Oracal 210 without issues on banners. Not really cost effective but ok in a pinch.

wayne k
guam usa