• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quick Books

maddmd

I have a question to you who use Quick Books, I have and use 2006 pro.
Do I upgrade to 2008 or not? If not do you just close out the year and start fresh or start a new Co.?
Thanks

high impact

We just upgraded from 2003 premier to 2007 premier not too long ago. We have two companies on it with no problems. If you are happy with 2006 leave it alone.

DON'T START A NEW COMPANY! Just print your reports.

msrobere

I have 2007 and haven't seen much difference between 07 and 06. I have one company file and keep going. I have my accountant do the end of the year stuff. Also it makes it easy on you having one company file because you don't have to rekey all of the customer information if you were going to do different files for each year.
Michael

TheSnowman

Heck, I'm still runnin' on 05. I don't have any payroll though...I think that's the main thing you should upgrade for...so I hear.

maddmd

We just upgraded from 2003 premier to 2007 premier not too long ago. We have two companies on it with no problems. If you are happy with 2006 leave it alone.

DON'T START A NEW COMPANY! Just print your reports.

Do you use Premier for your inventory or is there alot more options then Pro. Pro-$200.00 Premier $450 ???
And thanks for the advice I have only been using it for about 6mo.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I cheaped out when I started my company...just got the Easy start edition. Havent looked back....not full featured but its all I need. I just keep adding to it and backing up on DVD

iSign

I've been using Quickbooks pro since 1997. My first copy came with a computer I bought from an old trophy company that sold me Casmate Pro as well. Later I bought QBP2002 which I used for 3 or 4 years. Now I've been using QBP2006. I have 2007, but I haven't bothered using it.

In the early days, I just used it to create good looking estimates & invoices, as well as for writing checks, but I did my bookkeeping by hand still. Later I got some more training & switched over to running the QBP as my complete set of books.

It was a chore to make the transition, but it has been a vast improvement.

I do not use QB to track my inventory however. There are too many componants that go into my signs & I don't write up jobs with a reference to feet of materials, so it would be a lot of work to try to debit a running total of all my inventory for every sign that goes out the door.

What I have started doing, is a quarterly journel entry that assigns one approximate debit of the usage for the quarter. that way, when my sign supply (COGS) purchases are made, my "inventory" goes up, but to offset it, maintaining a semi accurate running total, I have to record these debits to that running total. In this way, I can claim the deduction from my gross sales for all the inventory used, but not for the inventory that will carry over to next year.

This is also good for a record against any insurance claim if, god forbid, anything ever happened to cause the need for that.

high impact

I have also found it next to impossible to track inventory with QB. I attempted to track inventory in the early days with the '03 version but it was a rough go due to all the variables. I wish I could find an easier way to keep track of inventory...I just do inventory every once in while on paper and input the totals into QB...actually once a year when the CPA asks for it. ;-)

I'm sure it is not the best way but is working for our little shop.

I've never used PRO so I don't know the differences between the two versions.