Welcome To Signs101.com

Signs101 is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick Gemini job....................................

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by Gino, May 18, 2017.

1. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    This place was only about 15 minutes from the shop, but from the time I got there, talked to the people in charge, got their instructions as to where on the canopy the letters go, until I took my last picture, packed up and got paid, it took 2 hours and 15 minutes. Drilled out about 90 holes and used a combo pad and stud setup with 4" studs.

Patterns was dead balls on, but their wall had been patched by someone who wasn't very good, which made some of the letters look a little odd. However, I pointed that out to them before I started and manged to make them look fairly decent. When they came out, they loved it and said,who cares if a letter is slightly twisted. I hafta agree, but I like making things known beforehand. pattern.jpg pattern closeup of holes.jpg some letters up.jpg finished.jpg finished dif angle.jpg

Another job which the bucket truck made super easy.

Tags:
    • Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Chasez

Chasez Member

Jan 6, 2014
    canada
    Looks good!

Chaz

3. HDvinyl

HDvinyl Beyond Most

Nov 20, 2008
    Big Brother Knows.
    Your customer must've been happy with the shop hours...

4. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    super-high-platform-shoes.jpeg Nice work Gino.
    Those seem a little low to use a bucket truck on.
    I'm thinking I wouldn't have needed the truck.

wayne k
    guam usa

• Like Like x 1
  5. dale911

dale911 Member

Jan 31, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    You may not "need" the truck on a job like that but the time saved by not running up and down a ladder and moving it around is well worth using the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Got that right. At my age, I don't feel like muscling around an extension ladder 50 times. That's why God invented bucket trucks...... for old f*cks like me to do easy work.

As for the shop time, the pricing was all arranged beforehand. I got a deposit some months ago, waited for the weather to be to my liking and got the balance when they came out and looked at it.

Not many people will let ya work on something without knowing what it's gonna cost upfront. I got there at quarter of 12 and was leaving at 2. The hardest part was drilling those holes. The rest was easy. Went down and glued up 5 letters at a time and boomed them up, slid them on and that sh!t stuck within a few minutes. 1/2 a tube, and that was being generous.

7. JohnBFryJr

JohnBFryJr Member

Mar 19, 2013
    Bay City, TX
    I like doing Gemini letters. And I use the bucket truck for pretty much everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

8. Moze

Moze Premium Subscriber

Feb 27, 2012
    Dallas, TX
    Let's not exaggerate - you drilled about 70 holes, not 90. :p

You mentioned twisted letters due to the wall.....It might not seem like it would make much of a difference, but the pattern looks really loose. The location of the holes can easily be 1/8" to 1/4" off if your pattern isn't tight.

And agreed on the bucket truck...doing this kind of an install off a ladder stinks. A scaffold is a decent option if you don't have a bucket truck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Actually, you're right, it wasn't 90..... it was 82 all total. Felt like 182. :p The pattern not being 100% tight had nothing to do with how lousy the canopy was patched. Hell, some holes didn't drill at all for whatever reason.... or all the way in, so I cut those studs off and relied on the pads and glue alone. The letters all worked out fine. Done enough of these things over the years to know how things work and 100% tight is nice, but not at all necessary. When you have a patch on a wall, that sticks out 1/4" on a slant, it's gonna skew with the adhesion or angle of the piece. Not my fault. :eek:

10. David Wright

David Wright Active Member

Nov 25, 2003
    Wyandotte, Mi
    It would have been more fun into the bricks.

11. hcardwell93

hcardwell93 Premium Subscriber

Nov 9, 2015
    Indiana
    Ive done brick installs...they can make you want to retire early!

• Like Like x 1