Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quick question about terminology.

Discussion in 'Polls' started by threeputt, Mar 20, 2007.

1. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    We are getting ready to wrap our shop truck. And of course I've been agonizing over the exact verbage I want on there. Here's my question:

Is the word "wrap" so very understood by the public, that using that word on the vehicle would be easily connected to the idea of wrapping a vehicle with advertising?

I've quandared about this, and am trying to use what they call "outside in" thinking. Sure "wrap" means something to me, but is it generally understood?

Comments?

Tags:
  2. wildside

wildside Very Active Member

Aug 28, 2005
    Kansas
    people in this area have no idea what a "wrap" actualy is. They refer to it as "paint". It takes some explaining around here, don't know about anywhere else.

3. high impact

high impact Very Active Member

Same here...we've found that very few people understand the term until we explain it as wallpapering the car, truck or trailer. Our trailer is wrapped and that is the best explanation there is.

4. threeputt

threeputt Very Active Member

Mar 10, 2006
    washington state
    Thanks. You know we throw words around, as insiders, and often don't think about whether they're understood by the "lay" person.

I'll await more comments, before I design my "wrap".

5. ChicagoGraphics

ChicagoGraphics Major Contributor

Feb 27, 2007
    World
    Here in Chicago alot of people know excatly what wraps are.

6. cardfan4342

cardfan4342 Member

Feb 26, 2007
    People in my area are convinced that a WRAP is what they want. In most circles, it is the popular thing to do. Sometimes they want wrapped even if all they really need is a great piece of advertising applied to the vehicle.

7. Mason

Mason Very Active Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Isnt it one of those sandwich things??

8. Rod

Rod Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Yes, around here a "wrap" is a sandwich (usually) from a Lebanese restaurant.

Perhaps you need to be bold about your statements in such a way as to educate people at the same time. For example, declaring (more or less) the terminology in a loud manner (e.g., "STELLAR VEHICLE WRAPS!") and then refine it with statements like "Make an impact with your wheels" and "Vehicle graphics that enhance your style."

9. Rick

Rick Certified Enneadecagon Designer

Apr 17, 2003
    Valle Vista
  10. Derf

Derf Very Active Member

Im hungry too now... Thanks!

and around here most people know what a wrap is.