• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

quick question

signwizz

i have a 45"x75" perf with lam print to install on the inside windows of a building and the problem i have is it fits the whole window and im not supposed to do wet how do u hinge and install dry or can u install wet for indoors any advice would be appreciated
thanx shane

iSign

hold it in place (with tape, or a helper, or both) and flip down the top foot... roll back a few inches of liner, cut off the top inch of perf & then squeegee back down, so the top of the print becomes like a tape hinge

sfr table hockey

hold it in place (with tape, or a helper, or both) and flip down the top foot... roll back a few inches of liner, cut off the top inch of perf & then squeegee back down, so the top of the print becomes like a tape hinge

I assume you meant the top inch of backing to be cut off. Just in case....

I also find that it should be cut off as close to straight as possible and don't rip off the top inch as when you go to roll up the rest of the perf, from the bottom, and try to get at the backing to peel down, it's easier with a nice straight clean edge.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Never, ever, ever, ever... did I say ever? install perf wet. Imagine all those lil drops of water caught in each little hole... yuck.

sfr table hockey

i have a 45"x75" perf with lam print to install on the inside windows of a building and the problem i have is it fits the whole window and im not supposed to do wet how do u hinge and install dry or can u install wet for indoors any advice would be appreciated
thanx shane

Just re read the original post and you say you are installing on the inside of the window or did you mean that the install was to be done in inside windows???

If you are mounting on the inside of the window then you must be using either a poster view perf or a clear perf and are able to print white.

signwizz

no the windows r inside and the window is the exact size as the print so i was wondering about hinging and the frame is 1 1/2 "thick out from the glass so cant hinge straight across
thanx
shane

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Never say never.

Never, ever, ever, ever... did I say ever? install perf wet. Imagine all those lil drops of water caught in each little hole... yuck.
If you were to mount it on clear vinyl first so the holes don't get water trapped then you would be good to go. Since it is indoors you would not need laminate on the outside. It may tear if you don't use either vinyl or masking support to put it on.

MikePro

+1 to laminating on a clear and wet applying, as I've done this a few times.

however, I still mostly dry apply perf./lam:
i just 2man it, peel/fold the backing about 20%... tack 4 points of graphic in your hands to the window and lightly squeegee the line at the pulled backing (just in case you have to pull it back up if you crease it!), pull back rest of graphic from window and finish applying the top before finishing from your "hinge" down.

i also use a wet felt squeegee to avoid potential scratch marks on the laminate.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I guess since everyone is following this thread.... or the gist of what the OP is talking about..... and I'm not, I'm just gonna have to ask.

Is this vinyl going to be read from people outside... like on the street or pavement or fellow office workers wandering down a hallway ??

If so, how are you going to get the printed side to face the street if doing it inside ?? Otherwise, why must you worry about people seeing through it ??

If it's an inner office where several tenants use common hallways, why not just put it on the outside of the inside windows ?? Do you really expect vandalism where they can control it ??

Last edited:

sfr table hockey

I guess since everyone is following this thread.... or the gist of what the OP is talking about..... and I'm not, I'm just gonna have to ask.

Is this vinyl going to be read from people outside... like on the street or pavement or fellow office workers wandering down a hallway ??

If so, how are you going to get the printed side to face the street if doing it inside ?? Otherwise, why must you worry about people seeing through it ??

If it's an inner office where several tenants use common hallways, why not just put it on the outside of the inside windows ?? Do you really expect vandalism where they can control it ??

I think what the OP is doing is some indoor office or mall store windows and the problem was that the perf was to go from edge to edge and thus to hinge the vinyl you would have to do so on the frame and this was what the issue was. The question was what is the best way to do it. It would be like applying the perf into this ] if that shape was the window frame.

What I would ask is do you need to laminate the perf if it's inside and not exsposed to the outdoors. One thing might be cleaning over the window (perf side) and if the image would wear off in time or would it clean easily without the laminate. If you didn't laminate it then it could be done wet but Isign's idea of just cutting an inch or so of the backing off the top of the perf then apply to the window and use that as the hinge seems the best way when its laminated.

I have also seen some perf that has only frog juice sprayed on the front and not laminated and applied to truck windows and been there for a couple years and looked quite good yet and thats with winter and all to go through so would a person ever just clear coat the perf in that setting or do nothing to it at all?