Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

QuickBooks & Excel

Discussion in 'General Software' started by rjssigns, Oct 8, 2019.

1. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Hoping someone can help. We have latest version of Quickbooks. Exporting to Excel works, but then the problems start. Some things are locked out or put in odd places. We want to use Excel to generate ordering summaries such as last time an item was purchased, quantities, unit cost etc...
    As it stands now the exported data is unusable. No clue what's why the data stream is messed up.

Tags:
  2. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    It's been a long time since I've used quickbooks (even longer since Excel), but when you are exporting are you doing the direct to Excel or are you doing the info as a CSV and then bringing that into Excel?

If the former, I would try the later as that is the more generic form. I've always used CSV when bringing in things like this.

3. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Wife did direct export from QuickBooks. I will have her try the CSV route. Thanks for the help.

4. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Can you not just ask QuickBooks to generate a report of the same?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. WhiskeyDreamer

WhiskeyDreamer Professional Snow Ninja

Aug 6, 2007
    Riften
    This may sound like a stupid question, but you're actually using Excel, right? Not OpenOffice or LibreOffice. Because that could cause the data to come in wrong, too.

6. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    Mid TN
    One of the benefits of sending as an CSV file versus direct exporting.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    No luck doing that. Wife worked on it for hours yesterday.

To answer WhiskeyDreamers question: Latest version of Excel.

8. ColorCrest

ColorCrest Active Member

Dec 11, 2017
    So Cal
    Understand the basics. You are looking for discrete column headers (such as Purchase Date) in QuickBooks to match the same in Excel. If you see these in QB as an item option in any export dialog, then you should have no problem. If you don't see the option, then QB has the functionality disabled.

Although you've said you are using the latest version of QB, there are different levels of QB with different capabilities.

9. rjssigns

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Disabled function, interesting. I will relay the information. Thank you.