• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quickbooks pro help needed...

Kottwitz-Graphics

Hey guys, I have QB pro 2005, and I think I need to set it up more for its potential... at least to give me a profit / loss margin.

I know it's too late to do it for previous years, but I want to try to implement something for this year moving forward...

Here are a list of fixes that I really want to fix:

• According to the software, I have over money to deposit (over 400), with a grand total in the 6 figures (I only wish). How do I clear it out so that it reads more accurate?
  • I want to set up purchasing from my vendors to deduct expendures (materials purchased to the jobs, and it would be awsome to track expenses to each job).
  • I really want the correct way of recieving payments, and tracking it against the outstanding invoices. Currently, in the invoice, I have a line item set up for deposit, and a line item for payment (that way when I print an invoice for the customer, it showes up on the invoice)...
Thanks in advance.
Mark

m giese

Sounds like you need a better understanding of what you do in one aspect affects everything else in the software. The high schools in our county offer adult ed classes on all kinds of things in the evening, one being quickbooks classes. If you can find such a thing you might benefit from it greatly. Before you adujst anything in qb, you need some help beyond what could be coached on line as changing something affects everything. Also, a local QB wiz might not hurt, get you on the right track on all of this.

Also, might be time to upgrade from 2005....

So, that being said and not the answer you were probably looking for,

Inventory is set up as items in the list category. If you put in a roll of vinyl, how would you enter it, by the roll, by the square foot, by the yard? Because in qbpro how it goes in is how it must come out. Bought a sheet of MDO and want to sell a portion of it but it is in the item list as a sheet, same for bulk purchases, etc. The high end versions of QB such as manufacturing allow you to buy in one format ie sheet, and sell in another, ie sq foot, yard, meter, inch, whatever and not mess up your inventory levels.

Selling too much or not enough will mess up the inventory levels. Not attributing an item to a bill will leave it still in inventory.

Not sure what you mean by taking a payment as a line item. Payments are generally recieved as a payment and do not show on the invoice as a payment. That is usually left to statements, where credits and debits are tallied. The money is then deposited, where it will go to the register for your checking account.

A lot must be thought through before you start, as your starting point is already full of challenges.