• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quickbooks Question - Can I sell it?

neato

I put a retail version of Quickbooks 2004 on ebay. But someone asked me if I had registered the activation key with Intuit, which I'm sure I did.

Can I sell this? Will it work for the buyer if I registered the key?

Kottwitz-Graphics

yes,

I bought a used copy of QB 02 from another sign guy. He supplied the install #'s and I had no problems installing and using the software...

I don't think I tried to register it, but I did get it installed and am using it.

Kottwitz-Graphics

Install numbers? Uh oh

You didn't write them down...UH OH...

Before you say Uh oh, do you still have it installed on a computer somewhere?

If so, just open the program, and under the Help tab, the last selection is "about QB 200..."

That will give you the install code, reg key code, serial # and group #...

If you don't have it installed somewhere, I don't know...

Border

I believe they have a set number of times you can install it and then you're s.o.l.

The only work around for that is install while your computer is disconnected from the internet. Then go into the preferences in Quickbooks and turn off the auto-update feature.

Then it won't try to "phone home" again and you'll be good to go as long as you don't want any updates. I found that out after my used version failed to install on the 3rd time I moved my bookkeeping setup to a new computer.

So...if you've only installed it once on your system, then I'm pretty sure the next person should have no problems....pretty sure.

And as above, you'll need to give those install numbers to the new buyer too!

iSign

I believe they have a set number of times you can install it and then you're s.o.l.

I bought mine once (& upgraded 2 or 3 times..) and I run it on 6 computers including a laptop at home, "registering" from a different ip address... & I've removed & re-installed dozens of times counting all the times I've replaced or reformatted my 6 or more computers...

all I ever have to do in the on-line registration verification process is provide some small bit of info like my phone number and my zip code (& I also assumed it was comparing my ip addy... except when the laptop install was allowed, I wasn't all that sure)

Just contact intuit... they will appreciate your concern to follow their policy, and if they approve it, that email might be handy to forward to potential buyers.

choucove

I recently went through this, actually, purchasing a copy of Quickbooks Pro that was not needed by a family friend. They HAD already registered the copy with Intuit. After installing the software, with the correct registration and serial key and everything, it informed me that the registration information was invalid (?) so I contacted Intuit directly. Turns out, Quickbooks, once registered with their company, cannot be re-registered to a different company name at all. It is actually a breach of the terms of use to resell a copy of Quickbooks that has been registered.

I'm not sure if you will run into this yourself, you may not if it is registered again after installation directly under the same information it was initial registered with Intuit.