• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Quit Hanging Out.....Leave!!!

OneUpTenn

Why is it that certain customers feel the need to stay and stay and chit chat and hang around and never leave. I try to pass hints like making phone calls or I will keep on working and never break stride, short answers to their comments with very little eye contact.

I also work from my shop at home and absolutely hate it when people (mainly the aforementioned people) come by unannounced.

Help me guys!!!! How do I let these people know they need to get their stuff and leave???? Do you guys have this problem?

BTW, there is only one seat in my shop which is my computer stool. I have removed all other stools but they dont mind standing trust me!

Sign_Boy

Maybe they think you are cool and just want to hang out with you :thumb:

Make a small sign that says "Time to go - I have work to do"

Craig Sjoquist

Laughing so much I'm rolling on the floor ...people are great spend time with them just a few minutes if your that busy ...then say please I need to get back to work, if you like to watch please stay behind the window / wall.

Believe me I wish I had your problems great for more sales to them and there friends.

dwt

Stick out your hand and say "Hey thanks for stopping by, I've got alot to catch up on." They should politely get the hint. If not reach for the cattle prod!

Mosh

This is in our showroom.
mullet_007.jpg

thewood

Can you create some sort of division between the order-taking/showroom portion of the shop and the production/design portion?

Our front counter and production design area are completely different rooms separated by a door which makes it easy to tell a client that "as much as I would like to talk, I need to get back to work" and go back to the work area. I also prevent people from entering that area with a simple "Sorry, but insurance regulations prohibit us from allowing clients into the production area."

signgal

I have glass partitions with a small opening/door to the back... they lean against it and continue to talk to me while I type away on the computer.

Just smile and nod and try not to think about the pile of work waiting for your attention. That client will bring in untold amounts of business, information and connections... You never know where your next big job is coming from and how important that relationship will be. I'm sure if your half as "cool" as you say, it's most of the reason they come to you. If you kick them out, what reason do they still have to come to you?

OneUpTenn

You guys are so right when you say that these relationships are the core of my business and maybe I seem a little unappreciative but its not that really.....I think its the low cut shirts.

Rodi

I used to hang out at this music store and I"d hang out for hours, but then I would buy (no money down, he's good for it!) a nice guitar and I only returned 2 (overnight) and bought like 18.

That was a retail situation. Use phrases like "My customer needs this quickly, I gotta go!" But it is send them away.

Steve C.

Ask them if they want to help out....

Thats a bad idea. I have one customer that always hangs around and tries
to help while I do his trucks. Once when I gave him his bill he said, " Why so
high? I even helped you." I said, "That's why it's so high."

thewood

I have glass partitions with a small opening/door to the back... they lean against it and continue to talk to me while I type away on the computer.

Just smile and nod and try not to think about the pile of work waiting for your attention. That client will bring in untold amounts of business, information and connections... You never know where your next big job is coming from and how important that relationship will be. I'm sure if your half as "cool" as you say, it's most of the reason they come to you. If you kick them out, what reason do they still have to come to you?

Signs?

mark in tx

Customer wanted to know why his stuff was late getting done.

"Because you hung around the shop for 4 hours not letting me get it done."

Gentle hints