• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

RA-640 printhead problem

bilge

This happens 3rd time within 9 months for Versa art RA-640.
It burns when printing, following strong smell of fumes.
Dear printer gurus, should I dig it up or throw it away and buy HP?
My Z6100 60" over 8 years old, 50K square meters printed, still runs as new.

Attachments

• P_20150904_154158.pdf
    171.6 KB · Views: 78

Ragnabrok

something wrong with the boards or cables leading from them to the print carriage can cause them to fail, albeit I've never seen it so spectacularly. Other than that getting ink in places it should't be when changing dampers can mess things up real bad.

Can't point to a direct cause, that is a crappy deal for sure.

bilge

Yes, it it difficult to point what went wrong.
I bought one RA640 (ecosol) almost 3 years ago and after 2 years working without problem I decided to buy another
one replacing my HP 5100 60"(it was great machine but too slow and I don't have room for accommodate more of them) .
First RA640 bought from Huhhot China, next one (the problem child) from Beijing. But it appears "Made in Thailand"
I thought every Roland product is made in Japan.
I've never ever face any board or cable related problem for 14 years in this business on over 10 printers.
Already spent about 4000USD for 2 printheads and if I need to replace board then again 3500USD needed.
If the problem won't solved I put more again.
The biggest problem is no any Roland distributor or technician here in my country. Some private technician
come from China and fix broken printers.
My situation is like Natgeo's show "what would you do".
Continue to try fo fix RA640 (with dye ink) or sell "as is" and buy HP D5800 at 14000USD?
I'd be appreciated if someone shares me the experience.

Karen-Kang

This happens 3rd time within 9 months for Versa art RA-640.
It burns when printing, following strong smell of fumes.
Dear printer gurus, should I dig it up or throw it away and buy HP?
My Z6100 60" over 8 years old, 50K square meters printed, still runs as new.

1. headboard damage can lead to the printhead fired 100%.
2. head cable is the first part we can replace and check . if no problem, then go check the headboard, replace new one, or send it to repair company to test.
3, if you do not want to pay more on heads, please send the heads to repair , which will save more cost.

bilge

1. headboard damage can lead to the printhead fired 100%.
2. head cable is the first part we can replace and check . if no problem, then go check the headboard, replace new one, or send it to repair company to test.
3, if you do not want to pay more on heads, please send the heads to repair , which will save more cost.

1. Where located the headboard? I have new OEM print carriage board, but don't know how to replace. I think, it needs some program called Peck 6.
2. Head cable is Ok, because I have another RA640 with eco sol ink and I changed the cables. Will you recommend a repair company in Beijing.
3. Where would I send printheads to repair? I have 3 broken heads now.

Karen-Kang

1. Where located the headboard? I have new OEM print carriage board, but don't know how to replace. I think, it needs some program called Peck 6.
2. Head cable is Ok, because I have another RA640 with eco sol ink and I changed the cables. Will you recommend a repair company in Beijing.
3. Where would I send printheads to repair? I have 3 broken heads now.

1.the headcable from head to the headboard.
2.yes,our company can provide this service.Provide reliable warranty.
3.my email address is dgparts@dgpartsmall.com , i will introduce the steps and our warranty by email.