• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

race car designs

777signs

I am doing 2 dirt modifieds with cut vinyl, just thought I would post the designs here to see what people thing. It is rough, but they liked it.

14-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jillbeans

#1 Eliminate Brush Script from your fonts.
#2 learn to make a true drop shadow with angled edges rather than points, it would look so much nicer.
#3 Top layout would look better with black checks.
#4 Try to use a natural shade on your shadow as well (top layout) would the sun cast a light grey shadow on a yellow background? Better yet, make the shadow plain black.

At least your numbers are highly legible, and that is good.
Love...Jill

777signs

The GREY area in the top design is actually going to be a silver holigraphic that the customer wanted. both cars are teammates, so we wanted something similar but different. As for the numbers, the 1 being smaller just looked neat, these guys liked it that way and at an angle. I have 2 cars, both are green, number 777, but the numbers go from small to large, just for grins, no real reason.

signgal

I'm interested to know what Jill meant about the true drop shadow with angled edges rather than points...

it sounds like 777's hands are kind of tied because of what the customer likes but I'm glad these things get posted because it give us an opportunity to learn from the "masters" of this site!

"grass hopper is ready to learn!"

signgal

ooooooooooh isn't the second one a block shadow? I think that's what they refer to it as in Flexi anyway.

777signs

Jillbeans, Thanks for your advice. I am new, but not new. I have been doing this for the past few years, just for race cars. We were going to open up a sign shop this year, and we still may, but I have a full time job I CAN'T quit. My father passed away and we have an apartment complex that I run to support me(and my wife) and my mom. I also have a racing photography business and have been open since 2001(www.SDRphoto.com). I may come on and ask stupid questions, so bear with me, I have no formal training except from working with a couple of experienced guys. When I do open my shop full time, I will hire an experienced person to work there. Again thanks for the responses and thanks in advance for answering some of my upcoming stupid questions.

J Hill Designs

ooooooooooh isn't the second one a block shadow? I think that's what they refer to it as in Flexi anyway.

Yeah - in Omega #1 is called drop shadow and #2 is called shade shadow - I did that in corel with the extrude tool which is fine for print, but not too good at all if'n ya want to cut it

I've raced roundy rounders, karts, etc. and lettered a few. Something to keep in mind. Check to see what the local race tracks say in their rule book pertaining to minimum height of numbers and positions front and rear. Some tracks get kinda' picky if not legible for scoring reasons........