• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Race Car Lettering

stip

Just curious. Guy comes in on Tuesday evening, needs car lettered before race on Saturday. Needs 3 - 24" number ones: 3 layers - holographic - outlined in flouresent yellow, then outlined in black. 24" x 22"
Same with sponsers name, approximately 5 places on the car taking up this much space, most with 3 layers, some with only 2. Along with some smaller decals, 3 layers also. I did the installing.
I felt like I gave them away by only charging $300. He seemed to think it was too steep. Any comments? I'm sensitive so be gentle.

Extreme Graffix

Depends what area your in indiana.Some drivers think 50.00 dollars to much and most want you to sponsor them with lettering.Its funny they can spend 20,000 on the car but dont want to spend nothing on lettering.Even in my small town he got a deal.They charge around 500.00 for nothing real fancy here.I dont do racecars anymore unless i have to.So waht you charged for as much as you did i dont believe you was high.

Flame

I'd say you were too cheap but welcome to the world of auto racing. No one seems to want to pay.

rgaskins

Yea, it's hard to deal with race car drivers they want something for nothing...I had one the other day that wanted me to wrap his car for free, well I would get the deck lid for the work...LOL, I told him I was looking for a sponsor for my vp-540, if he would make two lease payments I would put his decal on the printer...LMAO, he didn't like that idea...

Extreme Graffix

Racers are cheap.The bad thing about it is when i first got into the biz. I did sponsor a couple of cars but it ended up they would run at the back of the pack 10 laps down.Then they hit everything but the pacecar.it always seem to happen where my sticker was at.

Craig Sjoquist

well theres a guy around here that does hobby race cars and charges that ... but knows he does not put much on ... numbers name of sponsor a couple places thinks and by hand also
but your spending money on vinyl 3 layers no less plus install don't know sounds low

OldPaint

here i get $20 for ONE COLOR NUMBER, so if did 3 its $60 AND THEY PUT EM ON!!!!!!!
for ever color i add its another $20. and all i give em is the cheap vinyl.
when i used to PAINT STOCK CARS.....i got $200-300!!!!!!!!!! and no materials outa my pocket.
so you did a 3 layered/colored number @ $60 each, so right there is $180.00 IF THEY PUT EM ON.....now you also did the INSTALL...........of all of it so you shoulda been closer to $500 then $300.

Patrick46

I used to do a good majority of the local race cars. They used to not complain too much, but that has changed. Now they all want alotta work for cheap! And with the costs of the vinyl, and you gotta pay yourself back for that plotter, etc...
BUt now I had one customer that told me they can get full colour, full image printed (flaming numbers, Spongebob, etc...) number packages (2 big door numbers, 1 huge roof #, and several smaller ones for the front & back and whereever else)...off the web for $50.00??!!!!

oh, and would I be able to match those prices??? :omg:

I don't even bother anymore.

but if YOU are happy with the deal, then that's all that matters. all the best to you my friend!

klemgraphics

They always seem to want you to drop everything when they call mid week and need their car done by the weekend. Then when they get the bill and I'm giving them a break from normal prices they still seem to think they got screwed. I still have a few locals that I do them for but not many, very seldom will one leave here short of $500. I do have one that I can't complain about, of course that's due to the fact that he is also a business owner and knows the cost of doing business.

I don't bother trying to do all of them anymore, just laugh when they say "it looked really good last year when you did it, and you could read everything, but I couldn't pass up the deal I got" (saved a couple hundred and drove an extra hour and a half one way).

Had a good one the other week, lady calls says the numbers you sent to me aren't tall enough.
Me: That is the standard size for them, you didn't mention that you needed a different size.
Lady: Can you make me another set, I put your name on the side of the car so it's like your a sponsor.
Me: You will have to pay for the replacement set.
Lady: Can you give me a good deal, I did put your name on the car??
Me: Same price as before, I don't sponsor anybody, just brings in others looking for the same deal.
Lady: Oh ok well I was going to get sponsor names from you as well, can you give me a good deal.
Me: What size on all of the sponsor decals do you need? Send me the info and sizes and I will give you a price.
Lady: I don't know what you mean sizes, I just need sponsor decals. There are 4 different ones.
Me: Where are they going and what kind of car?
Lady: a pure stock car
(seriously I'm supposed to know exactly what kind of space you have from that???)

Why do I even bother with some of these people?!

Sorry for the rant, just couldn't resist.

James Chrimes

Quick question. How much do you charge to letter a set of doors for a contractor? I bet almost as much as the whole race car. I would rather letter three professional rigs than a race car and have more money to put in the bank. Set your price and stick with it and never apoligize about trying to make a living. Good luck.

stip

Thanks everyone for the replies. It's done now but I wouldn't do it again for less than $500. That's the ballpark that I thought I should have been in.

Grafix USA

I gave up on race vehicle graphics last year. They want them free, are willing to pay a little, but never willing to pay what I need to be profitable. I tell them I am really good, but really expensive and not willing to negotiate, that generally gets them off the phone pretty quick.

UFB Fabrication

I remember doing a race car 1 time 15+ years ago and I did it as a sponsor. I made him pay for material and my part was labor. I thought it would get some biz generated but all i got was more guys wanting me to sponsor them. :banghead: Needless to say it was and will be my last race car.

Jillbeans

You were totally used, rode hard, put away wet.
It will be a lesson you won't soon forget.
Never be so easy and cheap again.
Now here have a hug.
Love....Jill
PS
I try to avoid doing race cars like the plague, at best, it is a thankless task and has never generated any real jobs for me.

Utah1

Since I am a racer, and am now doing letters & graphics as a broker thru another guy at the track, I think you guys are creating a biz opp for someone that likes doing race cars with your attitude toward racers. I plan on continuing my business at the track, and becoming the direct source when I get my cutter. Having been in business for over 40 years, I don’t think racers are any different than anyone else, they just want the best value for their money. If you don’t have a good value proposition for them, they will go somewhere else. Just like any other customer. Let’s face it, all vertical markets are not for all businesses, and you can’t make all customers happy with your price point all the time. You just have to find your own water line. If you work on your sales presentation, you might find the average racer more willing to pay for quality work if they understand what they are getting for their money.

Earl

Jillbeans

I have never yet dealt with a racer who did not want multiple colors, outlines, special effect vinyl etc. Also scanning and cleaning of umpteen sponsors. Usually at the last minute.
Perhaps if I had a printer but to me it is just not worth my time or talent.
Even hand painting the cars wasn't much fun "Can you add my wife's name my kids' names my dog's name?"
I am glad most of them now have plotters and do each other's cars.
Funny how they spend thousands on parts but will bicker to the last nickel when it comes to decals. And this is not meant to offend, it's just been my experience for the past 25 years.

customcreations

$300 souns good to me. I too am getting tired of the customer base. Wraps are killing They want to look different from other cars but won't pay $650. They go to other shop and get a wrap that is out of the book for half price!

OldPaint

EARL, what business you been in for 40 years???? RACIN? you sure wasnt in the signpainter end iam sure of that.
now i been in the sign paintin, stock car letterin business since 1986...........and i think i can agree with most of the people here, RACERS WANT LETTERIN CHEAP, but spare no expense for RACE CAR PARTS. ALSO, the old line, ill let you put youre name on my car, if ya cut me a deal............ive heard to many times. and in all my years of PAINTIN &VINYLIN' RACE CARS.....i have NEVER done one FOR FREE AS A SPONSOR, and...........IVE PUT MY NAME ON EVERY ONE IVE DONE!!!!!!!! not to brag, but i have hand lettered 4 STOCK CARS, in an 8 hour day!!!!!!!! i like race car people, i can honestly say I HAVE NEVER BEEN STIFFED.........by one and most of the time i was paid CASH for my work.
i have a couple good freinds who are still racin, BOBBY GILL, runs hooters cup racing, and MARIO GOSSLIN. i actually bought a PLOTTER from him.....hehehehehehe.
and i live bout a mile form here:
http://5flagsspeedway.com/
and i did the main gate sign lettering for this one:
http://www.flomatonspeedway.com/index/index.php
and when i lived in sarasota did a lot of cars for here:
http://www.desotosuperspeedway.com/