• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

raceway build for channel letters

long Liu

I recently want to install 3 channel letters on a race way. I know that I can purchase a aluminum extrusion race way. But how can I build one with metal sheet? With what thickness? And material?
Thanks.
Long.

visual800

IMO you would be better off buying pre built. They are thick with removable cap on top. I know it seems easier sometimes to save money and do yourself. HOWEVER if you do it yourself I would use .063 aluminum with 1" aluminum square framing

long Liu

IMO you would be better off buying pre built. They are thick with removable cap on top. I know it seems easier sometimes to save money and do yourself. HOWEVER if you do it yourself I would use .063 aluminum with 1" aluminum square framing
Hello. Thanks for providing me the solution. Can you send me a picture, I want to know how they are connected together and adding the switch and transformer.
Thanks again.

MikePro

you can pretty much build them the same way they come as extruded, see any manufacturer's documentation of the profile as an example.... extruded just saves you labor & is structurally-sound to hold the weight of itself, and the lettering, and the power/wiring, while you have the service cap removed.

BUT

if you're gonna bend your own metal, by all means, but just design it so it fulfills the above requirements...which means you'll have to beef-it-up with gussets & angle iron, since you'll most likely be bending it out of .063-.090 aluminum that will not hold its shape for long when you remove the cap.

that being said, we have an automatic metal brake with 3", 5", 7", 9" profiles designed & programmed into it and can handle making them out of 1/8" alum....and yet, we STILL buy the extrusions to save countless hours of manufacturing on most projects.

Rocco G

I'm going to assume that you just don't want to spend the cash for a full length of the raceway extrusions for just three letters. I don't blame you. Depending on the size of the letters, you can easily build a raceway out of sheet aluminum, anywhere from .040 on up, assuming you are familiar with sheet metal work. I've made countless raceways from .040 aluminum but those always had a welded internal frame (steel or aluminum angle depending on how long ago). I now would use aluminum angle for the framing. Knowing the size of the letters would be helpful.

If you don't usually do sheet metal work, I'd suggest finding a local sign company (or even sheet metal shop) to make the raceway for you.

long Liu

you can pretty much build them the same way they come as extruded, see any manufacturer's documentation of the profile as an example.... extruded just saves you labor & is structurally-sound to hold the weight of itself, and the lettering, and the power/wiring, while you have the service cap removed.

BUT

if you're gonna bend your own metal, by all means, but just design it so it fulfills the above requirements...which means you'll have to beef-it-up with gussets & angle iron, since you'll most likely be bending it out of .063-.090 aluminum that will not hold its shape for long when you remove the cap.

that being said, we have an automatic metal brake with 3", 5", 7", 9" profiles designed & programmed into it and can handle making them out of 1/8" alum....and yet, we STILL buy the extrusions to save countless hours of manufacturing on most projects.
I see, I saw some channel letters mount on a thin box like attached picture. how should I make something like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 302

long Liu

BUT

thanks I will definitely move on and buy some extruded race way. I saw some channel letters mount on a thin box like attached picture. how should I make something like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 312

long Liu

I'm going to assume that you just don't want to spend the cash for a full length of the raceway extrusions for just three letters. I don't blame you. Depending on the size of the letters, you can easily build a raceway out of sheet aluminum, anywhere from .040 on up, assuming you are familiar with sheet metal work. I've made countless raceways from .040 aluminum but those always had a welded internal frame (steel or aluminum angle depending on how long ago). I now would use aluminum angle for the framing. Knowing the size of the letters would be helpful.

If you don't usually do sheet metal work, I'd suggest finding a local sign company (or even sheet metal shop) to make the raceway for you.

I really want to go with a thin frame, like in attached picture , you are right, If i am doing a long frame signage, I would go with a extruded raceway.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 274

MikePro

the "raceway" in the picture you posted....is just a box. an aluminum pan, that caps onto either another aluminum pan or some aluminum angle mounted to the wall.

long Liu

the "raceway" in the picture you posted....is just a box. an aluminum pan, that caps onto either another aluminum pan or some aluminum angle mounted to the wall.
I see, so the both of these two pans structured from aluminum angle irons. and 0.040 aluminum sheet.

I really want to make some pans like this, it looks really helpful to attach the channel letters

long Liu

What is the size of the letters overall going on this raceway?
over all size 50''L X 16'' H

I just registered UL training class. I think I should buy some easy mount extrusion raceway. it looks easier to pass on the certificate.

thanks
Long