Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

raceway build for channel letters

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by long Liu, Jun 30, 2020.

1. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
    I recently want to install 3 channel letters on a race way. I know that I can purchase a aluminum extrusion race way. But how can I build one with metal sheet? With what thickness? And material?
    Thanks.
    Long.

Tags:
  2. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    IMO you would be better off buying pre built. They are thick with removable cap on top. I know it seems easier sometimes to save money and do yourself. HOWEVER if you do it yourself I would use .063 aluminum with 1" aluminum square framing

3. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
    Hello. Thanks for providing me the solution. Can you send me a picture, I want to know how they are connected together and adding the switch and transformer.
    Thanks again.

4. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    you can pretty much build them the same way they come as extruded, see any manufacturer's documentation of the profile as an example.... extruded just saves you labor & is structurally-sound to hold the weight of itself, and the lettering, and the power/wiring, while you have the service cap removed.

BUT

if you're gonna bend your own metal, by all means, but just design it so it fulfills the above requirements...which means you'll have to beef-it-up with gussets & angle iron, since you'll most likely be bending it out of .063-.090 aluminum that will not hold its shape for long when you remove the cap.

that being said, we have an automatic metal brake with 3", 5", 7", 9" profiles designed & programmed into it and can handle making them out of 1/8" alum....and yet, we STILL buy the extrusions to save countless hours of manufacturing on most projects.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Rocco G

Rocco G Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Pennsauken NJ
    I'm going to assume that you just don't want to spend the cash for a full length of the raceway extrusions for just three letters. I don't blame you. Depending on the size of the letters, you can easily build a raceway out of sheet aluminum, anywhere from .040 on up, assuming you are familiar with sheet metal work. I've made countless raceways from .040 aluminum but those always had a welded internal frame (steel or aluminum angle depending on how long ago). I now would use aluminum angle for the framing. Knowing the size of the letters would be helpful.

If you don't usually do sheet metal work, I'd suggest finding a local sign company (or even sheet metal shop) to make the raceway for you.

6. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    If building yourself, you can make a 4 sided frame out of 2" angle, mount that to the wall. Then fold up 063 just over that size, mount the letters to that, then slip that over the frame on the wall. There are only a couple of issues to deal with.
    Wiring. You have to make the connection before final assembly on the wall, which can be tricky depending on how big the letters are.
    Service. You'll have to remove the whole damn thing just to replace a power supply or check electrical.
    Structural support. If the letters are over 24", then you'll probably want to frame the 063 up instead, then mount 90's (4" lengths of 2"x2" aluminum angle) to the wall and screw through the angle frame into the 90. I don't like this as much because the sign starts to weigh more...

7. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
  8. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
    I see, I saw some channel letters mount on a thin box like attached picture. how should I make something like this?

Attached Files:

9. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
    thanks I will definitely move on and buy some extruded race way. I saw some channel letters mount on a thin box like attached picture. how should I make something like this?

Attached Files:

10. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
    I really want to go with a thin frame, like in attached picture , you are right, If i am doing a long frame signage, I would go with a extruded raceway.

Attached Files:

11. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    What is the size of the letters overall going on this raceway?

12. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    the "raceway" in the picture you posted....is just a box. an aluminum pan, that caps onto either another aluminum pan or some aluminum angle mounted to the wall.

13. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
    I see, so the both of these two pans structured from aluminum angle irons. and 0.040 aluminum sheet.

I really want to make some pans like this, it looks really helpful to attach the channel letters

14. long Liu

long Liu Member

Feb 11, 2020
    6420 23rd ave
    over all size 50''L X 16'' H

I just registered UL training class. I think I should buy some easy mount extrusion raceway. it looks easier to pass on the certificate.

thanks
    Long

15. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    It should work well for something that short. Once letters get too tall, over 24" or so, the raceway install gets a little trickier. Make sure you get the extra parts, end caps, tray for power supplies, and leave enough slack to pull the power supply tray out without getting stuck.
    UL should be happy to certify this.