• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Raleigh Durham area of NC...opinions?

gnatt66

contemplating a move to that area in the kinda near future. wife has connections and a job she really wants ($$$ shes in the medical field) plus we hate the frigid winters up here..and always wanted to "try it somewhere else"...esp warmer.

not sure what i wanna do yet....whether it be to learn/work at another sign shop or cave to the lure of $$ and go back to what i was doing.

anyone from the area or with knowledge of the area care to chime in?

round man

The Raleigh/Durham area is a metro area with one of the largest population concentrations in the Carolina's. Do a search in the talking yellow pages for that area and see how much competition is there,..the vinyl franchises are gonna want to pay min wages or close to t for their help and getting a job in a sign shop is not going to be that lucrative,..the area is growing rapidly and very upbeat `and promising in the technology fields but There are very restrictive sign codes that make traditional signwork kinda cost prohibitive,...I personally would not jump headfirst into this area without some serious thought as to just how big a slice of the ever diminishing pie I could cut from a competitive market that is saturated with digital sign shops,....

OldPaint

as weather, it still SNOW'S THERE!!!! not like n.h. but still has a fair winter climate. i live in south alabama/north florida, NO SNOW but have nites of 18-20 degrees. as for the sign business in that area, round man didnt say its NASCAR heaven there. and you will be suprised at how many people have plotters & even printers to do their "buddys" racecars))))))

JimJenson

contemplating a move to that area in the kinda near future. wife has connections and a job she really wants ($$$ shes in the medical field) plus we hate the frigid winters up here..and always wanted to "try it somewhere else"...esp warmer.

not sure what i wanna do yet....whether it be to learn/work at another sign shop or cave to the lure of $$ and go back to what i was doing.

anyone from the area or with knowledge of the area care to chime in?

You may want to look into relocation to Wake Forest or Chapel Hill.

gnatt66

thanks for the replies and advice. i honestly dont think i will pursue sign interests long term down there. will i sell my cutter? hell no. i can commute/mail enough work this winter to justify keeping it forever.

i do have this printer lease for a few years i have to contend with....ugh. atleast it's cheap.

i was a mercedes benz parts manager/asst manager for a decade or so in a previous life...knowledge of those cars comes with a lot of dedication and hard work...and good benz parts people get paid pretty darn well...i'll probably look around at the MB stores down that way when we visit.

wifey is looking at the wakemed complex in Raleigh.