• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ram Sign for a friend

SignManiac

Buddy wanted a Dodge Ram sign for his man cave. He chose the colors black and orange which I don't personally like, but hey, his cave. Background is black smaltz and the lettering is poured epoxy.

Attachments

• Dodge Ram logo.jpg
    Dodge Ram logo.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 114

SignManiac

I shot the entire sign with a Matthews orange, background letters, beveled edge and sides, that matched 1-shot orange. I then used a two part table top epoxy tinted with the 1-shot and poured on top of the flat letters. It's self leveling so it flows out to the edges and domes up just enough to look rounded. It sets up looking like glass. After it was good and cured, I poured the self leveling epoxy onto the background and let it set up to a sticky consistency, then poured on the black smaltz. Let it set up overnight and that's all there is to it.

It's common to use Smith's blending cream to adhere the smaltz, but prefer using the table top epoxy.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Nice. I like the finished product, very clean. Have a few questions though since I'm always curious ....

CNC prototype with an rtv mold for the resin? Did you color the resin, or is that primed in the mold and painted post release? did you back screw the resin or have a different mounting?

-edit- finished my questions after your last post ... so it's a solid resin piece?

SignManiac

Solid piece of HDU cnc carved. All I did was hog out the background 3/8" deep and prismatic carve the beveled edge. Rest is all just paint and tinted epoxy.

phototec

NICE JOB!

I'll bet you could sell those on ebay!

Very good work, however I agree with you about the color, a nice black and silver would look awesome....

:clapping:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Maybe silver didn't fit in with his jack-o-lantern man-cave decor theme.............. ?? :popcorn:

Biker Scout

I think that all makes sense with the exception of the beveled edge - how does the resin level itself to that?
The only similar method I can relate to is doming resin, but I can't say I've ever tried doming something that isn't perfectly flat...
If you notice, only the ram has the doming applied to it, and the beveled edges are just painted.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Solid piece of HDU cnc carved. All I did was hog out the background 3/8" deep and prismatic carve the beveled edge. Rest is all just paint and tinted epoxy.

Ah, see when I read resin I was secretly hoping for something like ... http://youtu.be/u38UmGBQkrg ... but with solid resin. I've heard of it being done, just haven't seen it.

It's on my list of things to learn to do ... resin casting, production mold casting, re-learning how to paint with enamels.

k.a.s.

Looks awesome!!

We use resin on almost everything, I works great. And I love smalt, just got done doing one myself.

Good Job

Kevin

SignManiac

I delivered it last Saturday and he was off the charts happy with it. I discovered the reason for the black and orange. His truck is black and has some beautifully well done orange ghosted flames down the side. The interior is black with orange accents on the seats and trim. Not my personal taste in colors but it worked really well for this particular truck. He just finished building an 700 s.f. stand alone man cave off the side of his house where he will park his show truck and hang all of his art.