Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ran out of ink.

Discussion in 'Digital Printing' started by Mosh, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Mosh

Mosh Major Contributor

Oct 19, 2009
    Nerbaska
    Ran out of ink on my 540i and won't have a replacement until tomorrow. Anything I should do. I turned it off for now so it will stop beeping, power is still on. Low ink level didn't alert me....I usually have extra ink on hand....in fact have the three others....

Tags:
  2. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    You are good to leave it overnight. We have demo machines that sit for much longer than that without issue. It might require a cleaning cycle to bring back some nozzles that might have dropped out but other than that you're good to just leave it.

3. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    I also have a 540i. Just cut the tab on it and stick it back in. It still has 5% - 10% of ink still in it. It's enough to clean the machine a couple of times.

EDIT: The tab on the ink I mean

• Like Like x 1
  4. ewded

ewded Member

Aug 28, 2017
    UK
    If you wouldn't turn it off you could have inserted the new cartridge and continue the job where you left it. When the machine says the cartridge is empty there is still 10% ink. I usually use a large syringe to pull the ink from the 'empty' cartridge and insert it into the new one.

5. SignMeUpGraphics

SignMeUpGraphics Moderator

Apr 11, 2012
    Australia
    As AMS says, either trim the ink level tab on the back of the ink tank or shove a piece of folder paper/card in there to hold it back so the machine still thinks there's ink in it until tomorrow.
    It's likely not completely empty.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Joe House

Joe House Active Member

Feb 5, 2004
    WA
    I've just put a piece of masking tape over the tab in a pinch. That will get you through the night.