Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

random ink splotches or drops on media!?

Discussion in 'Mutoh' started by LenXIII, Mar 6, 2009.

1. LenXIII

LenXIII Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Tampa Area, FL
    Since this morning when running a few different banners (one was only red and white) I have been noticing some ink drops on the print. Its not very often, say every 8-12feet i will get like 1 drop of ink in a random spot. Its not spashing across the media or anything like that, just simply a drop of black ink on the media say the size of this letter "O" in the size it appears on your monitor.

Any ideas where this blank ink could drip from or why it would only land in random spots like this? I can take and post a pic if necessary.

Tags:
  2. Charlie J

Charlie J Very Active Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Midwest
    You need to manually clean your print heads. This used to happen to me on my old Roland when I would get a hair fiber or something around my print head.

3. pacmn

pacmn Member

Oct 13, 2007
    My suggestion is that you need to change the capping station sponge.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2009
  4. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    Wrong. Random ink droplets are almost always the result of a piece of lint or hair or something on the print head. The hair collects ink until it forms a droplet and the it falls onto the print.

Clean the metal bezels around the print heads as well as the wiper. You might as well check the spittoon pads and see if they're soaked as well.

5. LenXIII

LenXIII Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Tampa Area, FL
    Thanks guys! I changed out the spittoon pads before it started, the hair or fiber on the head makes sense. I will take a look at it in a bit!