• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Random number/letter generator w/load feature.

Kemble

I'm looking for a random number & letter generator that will allow me to add a suffix/prefix to it. I also need the ability to save the list that was generated to a file and then LOAD the same list back in to generate additional random numbers/letters when needed. This is important so that the random number/letters that were generated the 1st time wont be duplicated the second/third/fourth+ time new numbers/letters are needed to be generated.

Does anyone have a program like this or knows of one?

I have google searched and installed/tried at least 15 different random generators and have yet to find what I'm looking for which is why I'm asking here.

Thanks

AusAndy

For windows? How many numbers do you expect to keep track of? Can you give an example of the numbers/letters you want?

pmlegend

You can produce random numbers in Excel and with some other rules you might be able to get your letters. It is possible but could be a long winded task. For numbers just use 'randbetween' function then you could assign a letter to a number etc'

Kemble

For example a SKU system. 3 letters in front will determine the category, 7 random numbers at the end will make up the product ID. Thus the need to be able to save/load feature so that existing numbers are not replaced or duplicated.

AusAndy

I might be able do something for you. You can save numbers to a file, really simple but if you searching the file to look for an existing random number, then lots of numbers = lots of time to search. If you use a small database, then the search is quicker but the program is a lot more complicated. So we need to know roughly how many numbers you think will be stored in the file.

AusAndy

Actually, i just wrote a little test app to kind of do what you want. Turns out its not quite as easy as I thought! Using an example of 1 - 10, you pick a random number, then save it to your file. Next time, you pick a random number, check to see if its in the file, if it is you pick a new random number.

When you get all 10 numbers in the file, you will keep picking new numbers forever.

In the case you mention, normally there is a list of numbers, and you select the next number in the list and save it. The other way its done is by using something called GUID, or a globally unique identifier, however they are normally 24 numbers long.

Is there any reason they have to be random? Or can the number be sequential?

Kemble

Random would prevent customers from guessing product id's. The id's are going to be what will identify a download able product. When one pays for an item and gets their product ID then I don't want them thinking they can get a different one by a sequential ID. Which is why I want to also have the ability to have prefix/suffix that I can make up myself to stay static.

I have found an "add-in" for Microsoft excel that will sort of do what I want. I just need to do a few extra things. The "add-in" will generate a list of numbers/letters in cells that I have highlighted (which is handy cause all my products are in excel already). Then I can use excels duplicate feature to highlight duplicated cells and I can then delete the random number/letter and replace it with a new one. Then once I have all unique random number/letters I can use a function to add the prefix/suffix. When new products are entered I use the random generator to give them their own random number/letter and then run excels duplicate feature again.

Thanks for taking the time to write something as a test AusAndy, I appreciate it. I saw something about GUI in one of the many generator programs I d/l. Looks like software serial numbers with the - in them. =)