• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rastek Printhead Failure

pstrwks

I have had the misfortune of opening one of the rastek printheads (Toshiba CA4).
To cut a long - cooling liquid in the dislodged cable connection area shorting out the print-head - story short.
I opened the print head and found that the ink was destroying the epoxy with which the print-head was assembled.
IMG_20130507_160234-lr.jpg

IMG_20130507_160248-lr.jpg

IMG_20130507_160155.jpg

This can't be right!

I am worried about replacing print-heads into this environment.

Any ideas on what has gone wrong. I have only used EFI supplied inks and cleaning solution? The CA4 Toshiba heads are used by a number of Flatbed UV printers. do they have this issue too?

I pressure tested both sides of the problem ie. the coolant water and ink line, and neither appear to be leaking "aggressively". I have inspected 3 heads all with the same problem. 1 was the blown head(shorted out), the second was a faulty head that I had kept on ice hoping to revive it. and the last was the white print-head The White ink head is not 100% but I considered it to be in working order. I have not had the courage to inspect the other heads.

I'm keen to know if anyone else had discovered this problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20130507_160248-lr.jpg
    IMG_20130507_160248-lr.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_20130507_160155.jpg
    IMG_20130507_160155.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 215

Kaiser

How long have you had the printer? How extensive is your printing? Are your head temps ok?

pstrwks

I have had the printer for 3 years. The printhead temperatures run between 35 - 45 deg C.
We Print mostly every week day.

I was in the process of checking head temps as the printer has a water connection that comes away too easily and had drained all the water. In the process some water must have spiled onto the head connection and resulted in a short. The shorted head was then available for inspection.

Kaiser

Im running a T1000 printng an average of 100sqm/day on weekdays and I've also noticed that the water lines to the heads aren't well clamped.
I havent had the misfortune of needing to replace heads (yet) but if the actual ink is corroding the epoxy Id demand a replacement head.
EFI has great support once you start complaining about faults from their side. :banghead:

To make a long story short. Rasteks are kak. Im hoping that in the near future we can upgrade to an Anapurna. Ive heard wonders.