• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Raster Image Enlargement

Sign Works

OK what do you guys do in this situation?

Customer supplies 300 PPI .JPG logo image at 3.5" x 5.5" but the customer wants that image approx 60"-70" wide on a motorhome. Do you demand artwork at actual output size or do you enlarge the image yourself? I primarily work with vector images so I'm not that knowledgable about raster image enlargement. In the past I've had good results using Photoshop but have never had to enlarge something to this extent before. I did recently purchase Alien Skin's Blow up 3 only to find out that I need to upgrade my Photoshop CS2 to CS4 in order to use the software. How would one go about enlarging this image in Photoshop successfully?

jasonx

If the logo is something we can vectorise we vectorise it then blow it up.

If your going to enlarge in photoshop best method would be to resize down to like 150dpi without resampling that will give you double the size and then start enlarging the image by 5% till you reach the desired size.

rjssigns

With a solid high-res image we have gotten a great looking image at 1500% scale. The latest we did was from an old snapshot that we scanned at 300ppi. Ended up a goofy size like 27" wide by 38 or 39" tall.(don't remember exact dims) Original was like wallet size or similar.

Perfect Resize works a treat.

We put it to the test doing funeral prints for our friend who passed at 32 years. We kept scaling until they started to degrade then we pulled back a bit. Some were in excess of 2000%.
My wife and I felt awkward when the funeral director asked us about the beautiful prints. This was J's funeral not a gallery exhibition. It did however show the capability of the software. We did have to re-touch a few of them before up-resing.

rjssigns

Here ya go. Do not judge quality by the attachment. They turned out smokin'. As for size, the TV in the background is a 37" Toshiba.

Doesn't seem real that he's gone. First time I looked at this pic since the funeral.

Note: GBM4 got him the second time. Had it beat the first time, got married, returned to work things looked good. It came back with a vengeance.

Attachments

• JB Signs101.jpg
    JB Signs101.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 76