Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rasterlink only cuts using a Mimaki plotter?

Discussion in 'Mimaki' started by gabagoo, Nov 22, 2019.

1. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    This is what I was told from the technician installing my new printer..... Why do I want it, if I still need to have another RIP to use my Summa.

I suppose I could use it for non cut jobs but why even bother....

Tags:
  2. Solventinkjet

Solventinkjet DIY Printer Fixing Guide

Aug 2, 2011
    Denver, CO
    Just like Versaworks only runs Roland machines, Rasterlink only runs Mimaki machines. usually my customers use a full featured RIP like Flexi or Onyx when they are using multiple brands.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. particleman

particleman Member

Feb 1, 2008
    IN
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. gabagoo

gabagoo Major Contributor

Oct 10, 2006
    Vaughan, Ontario
    I have Flexi as the RIP. Just found it odd that he was promoting this Rasterlink saying it has better colour management than Flexi. Hey so far the one profile I have ran for the past 2 days on Flexi is great and way better than my older printer so I am pleased with Flexi.

5. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    I wouldn't promote anything about Rasterlink aside from the fact that it's free and technically it will drive a printer.

Onyx thrive/cut server works better for us when printing from our Roland or Mimaki and cutting on Summa.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. rjssigns

rjssigns Major Contributor

Jun 4, 2007
    Home Office
    Not a fan of Rasterlink either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Rasterlink 6 might just be the worst piece of free software out there. 3 more steps to do jobs than there needs to be and the visuals are way off. Absolutely no need to show you the extra image for the print and cut job as if it’s a different job.

Rasterlink 5 was miles ahead of rasterlink 6 which doesn’t make sense either. 3 tabs to cover everything you need and the job preview screen/list of jobs available were a lot cleaner to view.

that being said, it’s a mimaki software so makes sense that they only support mimaki. Lots of workarounds though

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1