• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Rasterlink question

pinki

Hey there,
I'm Erik from Belgium.

I use a Mimaki CJV-160 and software from Mimaki Rasterlink.

Works fine, nice prints, nice cutting, no special problems except one.

When we recieve a (PDF) file there is an option in Rasterlink to add registermarks (corner marks) we use this marks to cut our prints afterwards on a rotatrim cutter.

The problem is that those marks are not on the right position, they are 5 mm out of the print( ex. file is 70x100 cm - i put cutting marks - cut my poster, result poster is 71 x 101 cm

Somebody with same issue, solution ??

Many thanks, sorry for my bad English

Regards
Erik

PS. i'm also lokking for a fine MAT posterpaper for standaard posterprinting on the Mimaki CJV - +/- 150 - 160 gr

Neil

Hi Erik,
I'm just starting to use Rasterlink 4 with my CJV, so I've had to trawl through their badly written manuals to find out how things are supposed to work.

This is what they say about register marks:

"Prints register marks for cutting around the images.
The register marks are used by a cutting plotter, for example, for cutting images printed using
this system. That is, it is by reading the register marks that the cutting plotter can determine
the exact position and size of the images.
The printing specifications for the register marks placed around an image are as follows:
Line width : 0.3 to 1.0 mm
Register mark length : 4.0 to 40.0 mm"

It doesn't mention offset, which I presume must be set at 5mm.
And I can't see anywhere in Rasterlink to adjust the offset.

So it looks like these marks are for contour cutting alignment only. Not for manually trimming. You would need to import the pdf into your sign program and draw your own marks for trimming.

Vinylman

Hey there,
I'm Erik from Belgium.

I use a Mimaki CJV-160 and software from Mimaki Rasterlink.

Works fine, nice prints, nice cutting, no special problems except one.

When we recieve a (PDF) file there is an option in Rasterlink to add registermarks (corner marks) we use this marks to cut our prints afterwards on a rotatrim cutter.

The problem is that those marks are not on the right position, they are 5 mm out of the print( ex. file is 70x100 cm - i put cutting marks - cut my poster, result poster is 71 x 101 cm

Eric, IF I am understanding your request correctly, what you can do after opening your PDF in Rasterlink is go to the "file" menu.
Open your artwork file.

Under the "Image Edit" tab you will set up the parameters for the job. 1/2 way down the page is an image of your print job.

There is a place to check the says "Print Cut Line".

This will print a black line that is the exact size of your PDF "PAGE".

The artwork will be centered as it was imported into Rasterlink. when the job is printed you will have a "TRIM" line which should match the outside dimensions of your PDF "PAGE".

This line will allow you to line up your posters on your Rotatrim for cutting.

I hope that helps.

pinki

Thanks for both reply's

vinylman, youre solution is a possibility, negative on thise solution is if you're not so acurate by cutting on the rotatrim you end up with a printed line at the edge of the poster, also i remarked that on a white part of the image (ex poster with upper end 30 cm blanco) machine makes a cleaning after each 10 cm line (machine has to print only the dotted cutting line line parts of +/- 10 cm long makes a cleaning prints 10 cm makes cleaning...)

sorry for bath explanation, hope you can follow.

the solution should be simple, there is an option to place corner marks (2 types inwards and outwards) there just not on the exact spot.:frustrated:

I will have a closer look at it, contact Mimaki about this and if they come up with something i will post this over here.

regards

erik

Vinylman

the solution should be simple, there is an option to place corner marks (2 types inwards and outwards) there just not on the exact spot.:frustrated:

regards

erik

Erik;
The "corner marks" you are referring to are for the purpose of cutting out shapes {decals} with compound curves after printing, {or printing & laminating}. The way Rasterlink creates the "cut marks" can be VERY imprecise. So you need to create a standard way of doing this that is ALWAYS THE SAME.

Trying to use that particular feature to give you the cut marks you seem to need can be better accomplished by working the "artwork" PRIOR to sending it to print.

Since the artwork was sent to you from an outside source, I would send it back to the original source and tell them to provide precise crop marks in the proper location on the file. If they can not, or will not do this, then offer them the option of paying your shop rate for making these corrections.