• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help RE640 and VS540

RPLewis

Hey guys.. I'm new to these large format printers and also to these forums. With that being said, I'm in need of some help/advice from this point forward.

I have acquired these two printers (RE640 and VS540). They both had been sitting for 3-4 months not plugged in. After talking to a Roland repair tech., he told me to throw them both in the dumpster. I just couldn't do that, so I thought I would learn about them and see if i could get them going again. I couldn't get the 640 to print anything in test print mode so I started messing with the 540. Got it to print somewhat in test print mode. I did manual cleaning and a number of normal, medium and powerful cleanings, but not much help. Did some research and found that I could soak the head and using a syringe could push some cleaning solvent through each nozzle real easy and loosen up the dried ink maybe clogging them. Took the head out and soaked it and pushed the solvent through and reinstalled head and it started printing but there was blue ink mixing with the yellow causing the yellow to be green during test print. Also, blue was mixing with red causing it to be purple during test print. So, I did another head soak and when I pushed the ribbon cable into the head I didn't get the #4 cable all the way in thus blowing the 2 fuses on the main board. Got some fuses and when I turned the printer on it blew the fuses again. I've read that because I didn't get it connected properly I broke the head. I priced heads and I've seen them from $450 up to $2400. Also saw that they were DX6 and DX7 print heads. From what I have found out, Roland keeps the pricing with their vendors about the same. Around $1900 -$2000 and that the heads are DX7. Does that sound right?

On the 640. I soaked the head and reinstalled it, but the nozzles are just to clogged. So it will need a new head also.

I don't plan on using these in a business but was hoping to get the 540 going so I could make decals and have the capabilities to also cut. I can't afford putting $2000 in a head so I'm asking for any advice to some options. What do I need to do to put them in storage mode without a head in them? I've thought about selling them as is or parting them out. Any suggestions on how to go forward? Prices... as is, parts, etc.?

Is there any way to fix a broken head or maybe get a used head with clogged nozzles and clean them out and reuse them?

Thanks for any help with this,

Randy

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It depends on the condition of the machines other than the heads but they would be worth a couple grand each to someone who wants to fix them up. These machines aren't really something you want to use casually. The more they sit, the more problems and money you will have to spend to repair it.

Also just a note on the heads themselves, they are DX7 heads for sure as no DX6 Epson head was ever licensed to another manufacturer like the DX7s were. Just a pet peeve of mine I've been trying to correct slowly on the internet.

RPLewis

I do appreciation the input. The condition of the RE640 is in really good shape except for the head. It has the take up reel on it too. (I think that's what it's called) I was told it's worth around $1500. The VS540 is in good shape but can tell it's been used a lot more.
I understand about them sitting. I wouldn't use the 540 enough to justify spending that much money on it. I guess that's how I should have worded it in the beginning.
With the heads removed from both units, how should I prepare them to sit while I'm trying to sell them?
Thanks again for the input,
Randy

balstestrat

Problem Solver
If you really want to spend some time and money, run flush throught the lines and plug them.
Or put the heads back. You are probably not going to make it any worse than it already is.

RPLewis

Hey guys.. I'm new to these large format printers and also to these forums. With that being said, I'm in need of some help/advice from this point forward.

I have acquired these two printers (RE640 and VS540). They both had been sitting for 3-4 months not plugged in. After talking to a Roland repair tech., he told me to throw them both in the dumpster. I just couldn't do that, so I thought I would learn about them and see if i could get them going again. I couldn't get the 640 to print anything in test print mode so I started messing with the 540. Got it to print somewhat in test print mode. I did manual cleaning and a number of normal, medium and powerful cleanings, but not much help. Did some research and found that I could soak the head and using a syringe could push some cleaning solvent through each nozzle real easy and loosen up the dried ink maybe clogging them. Took the head out and soaked it and pushed the solvent through and reinstalled head and it started printing but there was blue ink mixing with the yellow causing the yellow to be green during test print. Also, blue was mixing with red causing it to be purple during test print. So, I did another head soak and when I pushed the ribbon cable into the head I didn't get the #4 cable all the way in thus blowing the 2 fuses on the main board. Got some fuses and when I turned the printer on it blew the fuses again. I've read that because I didn't get it connected properly I broke the head. I priced heads and I've seen them from $450 up to $2400. Also saw that they were DX6 and DX7 print heads. From what I have found out, Roland keeps the pricing with their vendors about the same. Around $1900 -$2000 and that the heads are DX7. Does that sound right?

On the 640. I soaked the head and reinstalled it, but the nozzles are just to clogged. So it will need a new head also.

I don't plan on using these in a business but was hoping to get the 540 going so I could make decals and have the capabilities to also cut. I can't afford putting $2000 in a head so I'm asking for any advice to some options. What do I need to do to put them in storage mode without a head in them? I've thought about selling them as is or parting them out. Any suggestions on how to go forward? Prices... as is, parts, etc.?

Is there any way to fix a broken head or maybe get a used head with clogged nozzles and clean them out and reuse them?

Thanks for any help with this,

Randy
I have decided to sell these printers. Both need new heads. They also are using 3rd party inks (Excel Eco gold premium quality). Does anyone know what the RE640 and VS540 values are?