Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading reg marks with chrome vinyl

Discussion in 'Summa' started by DrunknMonk, Aug 17, 2019.

1. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    Hi I'm using S2 T160 with Onyx 18, is there anyway to read reg marks on chrome vinyl ?

Thanks Gary

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    Try printing marks on regular vinyl, then apply them overtop of the marks on the chrome

• Like Like x 1
  3. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    They gave me, what appeared to be a translucent yellow vinyl. I put that over the sensor and it was able to read them on chrome.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. pkeshtgani

pkeshtgani New Member

Aug 1, 2011
    Ottawa, ON
    I had the same issue. Who gave you translucent vinyl you are referring too?

5. DrunknMonk

DrunknMonk Member

Aug 23, 2010
    England Uk
    over the sensor or the marks ?

6. ProColorGraphics

ProColorGraphics Very Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    Minnesota
    I got mine from who is now Airmark, that is who I bought my cutter from. It goes over the sensor on the machine. There was a tech/info sheet that came with it. A little how too. I will scan that it and post it.

Essentially just a .25" by 1" strip of translucent yellow vinyl. Applied over then sensor, then the "tail" went up along the side to make it easy to pull off. You need to adjust the sensor reading after you put it on. I did it once, recorded the new number, then just manually entered that in each time. I reused the same piece over and over until it wouldn't stick.

7. signgirl

signgirl Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Illinois
    I was able to just put a few layers of scotch tape over the mark and it worked

8. CL Visual

CL Visual Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Copiague, NY
    I've put matte lamination over the marks and it worked.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bob

bob Major Contributor

Nov 4, 2005
    earth
    You'll never get them in exactly the right spot. Never.

On any media that's iffy for reading registration marks I use 4 point manual marks and my plotter's built-in laser pointer. Your mileage may vary with your software and tackle.

10. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

We put a piece of application tape over the marks and redraw them with a fine point Sharpie

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. AGCharlotte

AGCharlotte Member

Feb 28, 2018
    Charlotte, NC
    same here...

12. Marshal

Marshal Member

Mar 29, 2017
    Minnesota
    If you're only using the little square marks and not the barcode, you can cut a square out of white vinyl, like 10mm or so, with a 3mm square in the middle. Place that square over the reg mark.

13. PHILJOHNSON

PHILJOHNSON Sales Manager

Jul 23, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    Good afternoon,

We usually recommend the yellow filters over your OPOS sensor when trying to read marks on chrome or mirror finish vinyl. If you can send me an email to philj@airmark.com with your contact information I can send you information on how to obtain the filters to test out.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
    Airmark Corporation
    (800)527-7778, ext 112
    philj@airmark.com

• Like Like x 1
  14. RG

RG Member

Dec 6, 2006
    South Mississippi
    I had the same problem with my D120. It doesn't have a built-in laser pointer. But, the 4 point manual mark method works just fine. I just have to use the mouse to move the knife over the center of each mark and click OK each time. Takes a little practice, but it contour cuts the chrome perfectly.