• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Really stupid question, Boss argument after I say NO WAY.

zapblam

Don't worry, just asking as I personally would never do it. Stupid salespeople whispers in my head at this request lol.

Questions: Is it even LEGAL to perf the inside of a vehicle window? and has anyone seen or done it?

Story:
Salesperson has a request to wrap the inside of a city bus. Could be creative. Ceiling, back wall, window pillars, etc.

However request was made to PERF the inside of the windows. I said NO WAY. Debate ensued.

First there is absolutely no way City Transit would approve pretty much blocking out the windows. Passengers already complain about the lower visibility of the exterior window perf. Had to explain the properties of perforated window film.

Second, I am pretty confident that it would be illegal. (without seeing legal documentation)

Vehicle inspection agency (SGI here) said common sense says dont do it. That was my main argument, common sense dont do it. Dont even attempt to pursue for the best interest of the team.

HulkSmash

Don't worry, just asking as I personally would never do it. Stupid salespeople whispers in my head at this request lol.

Questions: Is it even LEGAL to perf the inside of a vehicle window? and has anyone seen or done it?

Story:
Salesperson has a request to wrap the inside of a city bus. Could be creative. Ceiling, back wall, window pillars, etc.

However request was made to PERF the inside of the windows. I said NO WAY. Debate ensued.

First there is absolutely no way City Transit would approve pretty much blocking out the windows. Passengers already complain about the lower visibility of the exterior window perf. Had to explain the properties of perforated window film.

Second, I am pretty confident that it would be illegal. (without seeing legal documentation)

Vehicle inspection agency (SGI here) said common sense says dont do it. That was my main argument, common sense dont do it. Dont even attempt to pursue for the best interest of the team.

How is that even an argument? Of course you cant perf the inside of a bus.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Yes you could do it, you print on non-adhesive perf and apply optically clear perm/removable face mount and install.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
I have seen lots of buses that have super dark tint on all the windows why would perf be illegal on the inside?

Might as well just wrap the windows instead of using perf.
I don't think it would be illegal, Bus drivers are trained to use their mirrors for driving and as far as I know as long as the front windshield is unobstructed and the front side windows are unobstructed it's all good.

TheSnowman

Yea, I don't see why it would be illegal...not like the bus driver needs them. It may make people sick not being able to see out, but you could have advertising on the inside as well. We were on a bus at Disney (Magical Express) and it had portholes in the windows to look like a cruise ship...most of the window was covered except for a circle area at each seat...I see no reason why this would be much different.

Illegal - Probably Not
Ideal - Probably Not

zapblam

Grey area of vehicle laws, rare question for the vehicle regulations people indeed lol.

I did agree that it would be cool to fully wrap the inside of a bus. Still common sense tells me don't do the windows. Test piece showed near block out windows depending on light.

Imagine the public blasting the drivers and the City transit system would get if passengers couldn't look out the windows to see their stops.

jiarby

you are not their lawyer... If they want it wrapped and have the checkbook in their hands then do it. Also quote them removal! LOL!

DrSteveBrule

We deal mainly with 3 different transit authorities. THEY will not allow us to wrap the interiors and even have qualms about covering certain exterior windows.

However, we have recently been approached by a local college to wrap the outside and inside of their transport busses.

Since these are privately owned and not city/or state run there is no issue on our end. Obviously we arent perfing the front and driver windows/doors but I dont see why wrapping the interior windows would be an issue.

Ill post pics after the install.

zapblam

We deal mainly with 3 different transit authorities. THEY will not allow us to wrap the interiors and even have qualms about covering certain exterior windows.

However, we have recently been approached by a local college to wrap the outside and inside of their transport busses.

Since these are privately owned and not city/or state run there is no issue on our end. Obviously we arent perfing the front and driver windows/doors but I dont see why wrapping the interior windows would be an issue.

Ill post pics after the install.

I cannot wrap the driver side window, the window behind the driver. Cannot wrap the passenger door windows or the one front side window on the door side.

Doors are for passenger safety and the front side windows are so elderly can see stops better and the drivers can see people at the stops.

The buses with tail window we cover on the outside.

Vandalism....good point I can use thanks.

mikey-Oh

I cannot wrap the driver side window, the window behind the driver. Cannot wrap the passenger door windows or the one front side window on the door side.

Makes total sense, still leaves quite a bit o' advertising space. Dependant upon the bus' size