• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

rear bumper

WOODBS

what are you guys doing when wrapping at the rear bed near and behind bumper? i think the next one i get , gonna take the bumper off..

Graphics.Atl

Definitely take it off. The time it takes to remove it will be spent in trying to wedge your hand between it and the bumper to clean and lay. It will also look much better and last longer.

kstompaint

Sometimes we do, sometimes we don't. One customer asked that ? and I told him the $ for the shop time to remove and replace. He took it off himself, fine with me. If it's an older vehicle, they can be a pita to get off. We're removing the bumper from my 08 Silverado to wrap. It definitely looks better.

WOODBS

yeah it took 15 mins to take off..wish i had thought of it before i made my cuts..oh well live and learn

kstompaint

I take it back... kinda. I'm sure it will look much better and in the end I'll be glad I did it, but I just took the rear bumper off my 08 Silverado. PITA!:banghead:

ProWraps

our policy is that we dont do anything that basically amounts to body shop work. we will remove mirrors if accessable. we will not remove door handles due to liability and time constraints. bumpers i will do for myself, but not for customers.

we have a body shop down the road we partner with and if there is something that requires that type of work, we refer the client to them and they pay him to do it.

this was the case when we were hired to install a wrap for a national company and the side moldings were not in the original design and caused problems with the wrap.

we told the client they could go to a trained body shop professional and have them removed and refered them to the guy down the street.

we are wrap installers. not body repair technicians. we take our liability very serious and have many protective measures.

so long story to your question. no we dont take them off.

mark in tx

Unless it is in the contract, with specific costs spelled out, and releases from liability, I don't remove anything. They usually agree to get a body shop to do any removal and replacement.

ProWraps

so you trim and let some paint show..?

yeah. its the same on cargo vans. on the vans (ford) there is usually a lip kinda thing that creates a nice line to cut on. i have no problems letting paint show through if the trimming is done correctly and uniformally.

we have to remember that unless specifically specified and PAID for, these wraps are advertisments, not paint jobs. the customer must not dictate the overall objective into something it is not unless they are willing to pay for your T&M to do it.

now with that said, that doesnt mean these jobs should be hacked together by any means. but liability is a major issue when dealing with vehicles.

for example, we took the bumper off my shop truck to wrap it. when we went to rewrap it, suprisingly, all the bolts fell off except one. we had no idea. we are not body shop guys and we dont know or use things like specific torque settings etc. had this been a customer car, and the bumper fell off in traffic, we would have been screwed.

its a shame we as a society have to think this way when we own a business, but alas, we do. there are ways to improve the look such as using strips cut and place in there as far as you can. with that part of the car, its hard to wrap it in one piece anyways without ghosting or getting wrinkles after it sits do to spread out adhesive.

WOODBS

i agree with the clean cuts and paint showing, however i just wanted to try this approach on this one, to see if it was worth the extra tucking etc. i have some good glass/body shop guys that helped in the removal of bumper etc. after all said and done ..prolly not worth it..