• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recent wrap

Joe Diaz

I still don't understand this philosophy. Are they professional wrap designers - or are you? If you let your clients art direct you, than you're not really a designer at all - you're a computer operator, at best.

As a marketing professional, your job should be to listen to what they think they want, and give them what they need instead. That's why a customer normally chooses to hire a professional.

I can't say what went down in this instance, and I'm not trying to pick on you. But there seems to be an awful lot of guys who use this as a crutch; the ol 'The customer loved it and I got paid, so who cares what it looked like'.

I can tell you from experience, when you care more about a clients image than they do, you'll earn their respect far quicker than regurgitating exactly what they ask you to do.

After a finger fracture and subsequent surgery, with a second one coming in 6 weeks, I know a ton about pinky fractures and surgical techniques from researching the hell out of it. But I'm not about to tell my surgeon whether to use a dorsal approach to the incision or what type of silk to sew it up with. He's the professional, and he's earned my trust. I ask the questions, tell him what I'd like the outcome to be, but I'm not dictating to him how he arrives there. That's what he went to school for, and has the experience to know the best choices given my parameters.

:goodpost:

Dan Antonelli

I think it looks cool!

I disagree. It is all about the money, or you guy's prices would be alot less. If you charge less than the comp you will be around longer.
Price trumps all in 99% of the time.

It's all about the money for me too - thats why I'm priced way over 99% of my 'competitors'. Gee, though, I can't figure out why we have more work than we can handle. I'm definitely doing something wrong I guess. Or perhaps the other 1% of the population just comes to me, and the other 99% goes somewhere else.

Price chumps all.... uh huh... wonder how Lexus sells any cars then.

Dan Antonelli

Watch and episode of Mad Men.

Sorry- missed the reference. I started watching it this year but only caught few episodes - and have been bummed that Hulu didnt have full seasons. Will have to buy the DVD - seems like an awesome show.

Given that, I don't recall the character. Is it good that I'm compared to him or bad? LOL

Mosh

He messes around on his wife. They have three kids now. Kind of a slime. He also litters in the park, just tosses beer cans where ever.
Other than that he is a great guy!

javila

Sorry- missed the reference. I started watching it this year but only caught few episodes - and have been bummed that Hulu didnt have full seasons. Will have to buy the DVD - seems like an awesome show.

Given that, I don't recall the character. Is it good that I'm compared to him or bad? LOL

He's always talking about how the clients don't really know what they need only that they want what he can provide.

edit: oh yeah only about his business life, not his personal. lol he's pretty much a douche in that regard.

Flame

I think it looks cool!

I disagree. It is all about the money, or you guy's prices would be alot less. If you charge less than the comp you will be around longer.
Price trumps all in 99% of the time.

Your narrow minded approach to business is quite amusing. You really have no clue.... lol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Sound advice there Dan. Very well said and right to the point.

One will only attract sameness. If your mindset is.... Oh, I can't get this or that because of X,Y,Z reasons... you won't.

That goes for most people. It does not and I repeat... DOES NOT apply to Mo. His philosophy is different in his area of the planet.

laserman70

I still don't understand this philosophy. Are they professional wrap designers - or are you? If you let your clients art direct you, than you're not really a designer at all - you're a computer operator, at best.

As a marketing professional, your job should be to listen to what they think they want, and give them what they need instead. That's why a customer normally chooses to hire a professional.

I can't say what went down in this instance, and I'm not trying to pick on you. But there seems to be an awful lot of guys who use this as a crutch; the ol 'The customer loved it and I got paid, so who cares what it looked like'.

I can tell you from experience, when you care more about a clients image than they do, you'll earn their respect far quicker than regurgitating exactly what they ask you to do.

After a finger fracture and subsequent surgery, with a second one coming in 6 weeks, I know a ton about pinky fractures and surgical techniques from researching the hell out of it. But I'm not about to tell my surgeon whether to use a dorsal approach to the incision or what type of silk to sew it up with. He's the professional, and he's earned my trust. I ask the questions, tell him what I'd like the outcome to be, but I'm not dictating to him how he arrives there. That's what he went to school for, and has the experience to know the best choices given my parameters.

Dan,
I agree with alot of what you say. However, they went to a pull this weekend and we received 3 calls to give quotes on 2 pulling trucks and a trailer.
I like you agree, its not my cup of tea, but it is their $11,000 toy. I airbrush alot of motorcycles for people, they want what makes them happy. As do I on my bike. Believe me, I don't want to do another bike with skulls and flames, but that is what they want.
My hero, (my father) always said; "Sometimes the customer has different ideas than you, dont discount their ideas. If they walk away happy and you get more business from putting out what they want, than you did your job." He started a company with one man, himself. Sold it to Nukote Int. with 242 employees.
Everyone is different, people have ideas that they believe to be correct. You can give advice until your blue in the face. In the end its their toy, not mine. We tried to guide them in a direction which would be more pleasing to the eye but that is not what they wanted and it is their money and choice.
Thanks for the advice.

Dan Antonelli

Laser-

Yes, for a non-marketing use, such as the race car group, you definitely have more leeway, as they're not doing a wrap for any particular marketing benefit.

So graphics for toys versus graphics for businesses, are different. I'll still advocate though, the importance of making sure work that has your name on it represents you well.

And like you said, I'm sure you pushed them in a better direction.

GoodPeopleFlags

I completely and totally agree with Dan. However, some people do just "want what they want" and I wouldn't turn down a job because I personally didn't like their ideas of what they wanted. I did a job this week for what could've been a beautiful sign, in my opinion. I gave him better options than what he was looking for but in the end, he picked what he wanted and we made the sign. I don't like it but he's thrilled with it. In fact, his neighbor now wants us to make her a sign, too.

The way I think of it, everyone has their own taste. There are basic design rules that should be followed and it's up to us - the professionals - to show our customers the correct way. But in the end, it's all a matter of personal taste. I see people in Walmart wearing clothes I think is hideous, but they liked it enough to buy it and wear in public. Are they wrong? Not to them.

Speaking of Walmart, if you want a good laugh, check out www.peopleofwalmart.com. You'll see what I mean!

mmorse

I agree 100% with blue. I had the same instance happen with local Dr. Gave him some great looking layouts, in the end he chose a color scheme and something his wife came up with that was hideous, I mean really ugly.
We design with our whats best for our clients and their image, but when it comes down to it sometimes our customers just don't have designs sense, and they are paying for the product, so you give them what they want.

Flame

I completely and totally agree with Dan. However, some people do just "want what they want" and I wouldn't turn down a job because I personally didn't like their ideas of what they wanted. I did a job this week for what could've been a beautiful sign, in my opinion. I gave him better options than what he was looking for but in the end, he picked what he wanted and we made the sign. I don't like it but he's thrilled with it. In fact, his neighbor now wants us to make her a sign, too.

The way I think of it, everyone has their own taste. There are basic design rules that should be followed and it's up to us - the professionals - to show our customers the correct way. But in the end, it's all a matter of personal taste. I see people in Walmart wearing clothes I think is hideous, but they liked it enough to buy it and wear in public. Are they wrong? Not to them.

Speaking of Walmart, if you want a good laugh, check out www.peopleofwalmart.com. You'll see what I mean!

Um... this is his personal wrap. He could've put on anything he wanted so that advice gets thrown out the window.

mark galoob

in the end its all nice and good if you can convince your customer to look more professional. but they are paying the bills. i dont see whats wrong with giving them what they want...personally, i thought the design of this vehic did nothing for my taste, but i did not pay for it.

yo, if your tastes are too good for your customers, and you dont want their business, send em to me...$ is $.

mark galoob