• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recently Purchased HP Designjet Z6100

SublettSigns

Hello,

The shop I work at recently bought a HP Designjet Z6100, which uses Aqueous Based Inks. I was told that as long as the Material is UV completable that it would work with the Inks, but so far when we print the ink never drys, we do have a laminator but shouldn't the inks dry completely before we the material through the laminator? I know these are probably dumb questions but we are completely new to the wide format print game, and we are trying to learn as much as possible. We order all our materials from Fellers, but we don't see any print materials that say "compatible with aqueous". Anyone have any helpful information for us? Any would be great, thanks!

vikingostby

Hp z6100

The Z6100 requires media with a coating made for the aqueous inkset. You cannot print on standard vinyls or solvent/latex materials. Most everything you print (unless it is never going to be touched) is also going to require a protective overlaminate. Lexjet has a wide assortment of aqueous based products (that you can select on their website), and I am sure a merchant member here can get you a swatch book of appropriate materials.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
The UV is a pigmented aqueous ink not like the UV in the new machines. I have a full line of materials for the Z series if your interested.

bttweb

the z6100 printer like its jurassic predecessors 5000/5500 are used for indoor prints. I have both machines 5500 and 6100 as well as mutoh
solvent. As a sign shop those machines are useless and will never be used in any job as you need a latex or ecosol printers to do the job.
as a photo printer its also not meant for very picky photographers if you compare them with Canons and Epson 12 ink systems.

its niche is for high production indoor prints (mostly glossy paper doesnt look good on matte) and but must be laminated to withstand
rough handling such as tradeshow graphic panels.

if you really need to print photos since it doesnt have a heater, would be nice to heat gun it with a fan to let it dry quicker.

for most sign jobs, has to be ecosolvent or latex printer.

also UV compatible is not what you need, those are for UV printers mostly flatbed and with UV curing system lamp or led.
if the ink stays on top and still wet, and smudge then that means its not a coated material for aqueous inks.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
the z6100 printer like its jurassic predecessors 5000/5500 are used for indoor prints. I have both machines 5500 and 6100 as well as mutoh
solvent. As a sign shop those machines are useless and will never be used in any job as you need a latex or ecosol printers to do the job.
as a photo printer its also not meant for very picky photographers if you compare them with Canons and Epson 12 ink systems.

its niche is for high production indoor prints (mostly glossy paper doesnt look good on matte) and but must be laminated to withstand
rough handling such as tradeshow graphic panels.

if you really need to print photos since it doesnt have a heater, would be nice to heat gun it with a fan to let it dry quicker.

for most sign jobs, has to be ecosolvent or latex printer.

also UV compatible is not what you need, those are for UV printers mostly flatbed and with UV curing system lamp or led.
if the ink stays on top and still wet, and smudge then that means its not a coated material for aqueous inks.

The biggest contract company in the industry uses the Z series and it can do better quality than any solvent machine. You can get a year outdoors IF you had to, the materials are more expensive and you need to laminate but it is really a great printer for BACKLIT, POP, and TRADESHOW GRAPHICS.

Billct2

I agree, I've had them since the 5000 and they are a workhorse. If you have the market for interior graphics they can't be beat.