• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommend ecosolvent printer/cutter

crnstone

Hi Folks - I starting out on my own and looking to buy a used ecosolvent printer/cutter printer could any body make a recommendation. I'd Love to buy a new one but right now my budget won't allow it. Thanks in advance

J

john1

Roland Versacamm

I have the new SP-300i but they also make larger ones. The 30" regardless of what others say is a great start. New ones are only $13,500 i think

Circleville Signs

If you are serious about this, I would never recommend a dual printer/cutter. It annihilates your work flow. You need a printer, and you need a plotter.

crnstone

Thanks for response - I really like the Mimaki cjv30 but it's way out of my price range, only have about $5000 to work with at the moment.

ProColorGraphics

I started with a 30" SP-300 and wish I had a 54" within a month. If you can swing it, I would highly recommend a 54". I also agree with Gary, after getting a separate printer and cutter, my productivity went up big time! Not having to wait to cut things while something else is printing, or vice-versa, is very nice.

idsignsil

If you are serious about this, I would never recommend a dual printer/cutter. It annihilates your work flow. You need a printer, and you need a plotter.

I agree with Gary on this... That being said, if you are short on space as we are, then a dual printer/plotter will work. We have a XC-540, I just have to plan ahead and let clients know the time frame. If we had the space I would get a separate plotter.

Also, :Welcome:

J

john1

Thanks for response - I really like the Mimaki cjv30 but it's way out of my price range, only have about $5000 to work with at the moment.

I would keep saving, You can get a older Versacamm 30" for around $6500 used

rjssigns

I would wait to buy a printer unless it is almost free and in good shape. The market will be seeing a lot of new technology this year. And you don't want to get caught with a new machine that is obsolete in 6 months.

Since you are starting out have a trade only printer do your work for a while. Track sales and profits then see if you can justify a printer. it is a good way to go.

One thing sales people won't tell you is that there is a steep learning curve with a printer, plus routine and unexpected maintenance. And that you have to laminate darn near everything. And that the printer will quit at the most inopportune time for no good reason.

We are only doing the very small and quick turn jobs in house now. So much less stress. Design it, upload it, wait for UPS while you're on to the next client/job.

Something to think about:
That big shiny new printer you are thinking of buying OPERATES NOTHING LIKE THE ONE SITTING ON YOUR DESK!

rjssigns

Umm...didn't read my post did ya?

Just trying to save you some,a lot of grief.

That being said: Bang on brother.:popcorn:

J

john1

I just found this ecosolvent table top printer for under $5000 any one familiar with the unit Flex33 Vinyl / Flexible Media Printer.
http://www.directcolorsystems.com/flex33-printers.php

Honestly man, find a used versacamm for a few thousand more than your current budget or don't get a printer at all right now.

That set up has a max width of 12.5" and your not going to be able to find good media to print on. You would be stuck using whatever the print manufacture has and alot of times it's way overpriced and your stuck on using one type of media or medias.

Trust me, when it's all said and done you will Thank me and others for helping you get set up correctly. Price isn't everything, Less headaches with a machine that works is what it's all about.

Custom_Grafx

Welcome,

What do you want to use it for? It makes a big difference.

You may want to revisit your business plan if you only have 5k to spend on a printing set up.

It might be better for you to start off with cutting only, and sub out printing. 5k is more than enough to set you up with a decent cut vinyl setup, and will be a good way to learn a lot about software and vinyl types.

Save up the money you make from it, then buy your printer (if you ever need to). Some people do fine with just cut vinyl in house, and subbing out printing.

Good luck.

Sign Works

I would keep saving, You can get a older Versacamm 30" for around $6500 used

I agree, save up and find a good used SP-300V. I've had mine for almost 6 years and it's still working just fine, printing large graphics for an RV as I type.

Attachments

• 663.jpg
    663.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 691.jpg
    691.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 73

crnstone

Thanks every one for your responses, Think I'll keep outsourcing my work till i can buy a new Mimaki cjv30. Thanks Tim

particleman

Thanks every one for your responses, Think I'll keep outsourcing my work till i can buy a new Mimaki cjv30. Thanks Tim

A friend of mine was in a similar situation as you. After helping him look and visiting a show we decided on the CJV30. He has had it now for a 5-6 months, it is a very nice machine that fits his needs well. It prints fast enough he has a lot of capacity to grow into. The thing to keep in mind is that the size of that machine won't be an issue down the road. It was perfect for his needs though. The ES3 ink has almost no smell.

The cutter on it is not real fast either, so keep that in mind. It does work very well, I believe Gerber designed the cutting system on that printer so it is built well. Although the printer can print and cut without unloading you'll find that a lot of things have to be laminated anyway so you end up reloading the machine to do this. Ideally a stand alone cutter would be a better solution but I understand being on a budget!