• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommendation on film for motorcycle wrap

Zack Bunning

Looking into wrapping a Harley. It has large aftermarket fiberglass fenders and a rounded tank. Customer wants a flip 3m 1080 deep space color, but looking into it it doesn't seem like 3m 1080 would be the right choice to me. Correct me if I am wrong. I am still very new to the whole color change game. Would I want to go with an Avery film that is more comformable? What would my best option be for this install? Thanks in advance. The pic is the same rear fender that will need wrapped. The front is very similar in size. Any help is much appreciated!

Attachments

• SS-48-Extended-Rear-Fender-for-Fatboy-Lo-2.jpg
    SS-48-Extended-Rear-Fender-for-Fatboy-Lo-2.jpg
    262.2 KB · Views: 516

Zack Bunning

3m 1080 lists its for flat and simple curvature. Avery's sw900 lists it saying it has superior conformability over curved surfaces. The 3m 1080 color they want is a double cast vinyl also. I don't know? This is why I am asking for opinions and help on the matter as I am new to all of this. I'm looking for help, not interrogation.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
I've worked with both 3M and Avery. They are both conformable but I've only used Avery on a Motorcycle. Either way, I wouldn't try to do this in one piece on both the tank and fenders. I would up-sell an additional color and customize the design adding it to your deep space color. It would make your install much easier and your less likely to overstretch and having to re-do.
I'm not saying it's not possible with either but I prefer playing it safe.
Or...Maybe see if your a sales rep has a sample of each laying around to try out first if you have the time to. Just a thought.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Looking into wrapping a Harley. It has large aftermarket fiberglass fenders and a rounded tank. Customer wants a flip 3m 1080 deep space color, but looking into it it doesn't seem like 3m 1080 would be the right choice to me. Correct me if I am wrong. I am still very new to the whole color change game. Would I want to go with an Avery film that is more comformable? What would my best option be for this install? Thanks in advance. The pic is the same rear fender that will need wrapped. The front is very similar in size. Any help is much appreciated!

So how did you make out ? My son just approached me wanting me to wrap a duel tank and fenders on his Harley ( now disassembled )

MikePro

no issues here wrapping with 3M 1080 series vinyls. ....maybe the carbon fiber/embossed pattern vinyls might have limitations, but definitely has no problem wrapping colors/metallics over typical wrap curvatures.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
no issues here wrapping with 3M 1080 series vinyls. ....maybe the carbon fiber/embossed pattern vinyls might have limitations, but definitely has no problem wrapping colors/metallics over typical wrap curvatures.

Did you laminate and if so what thickness. He wants to use 3m 1080 gold dust black vinyl wrap SP242 . I see no problem with the fenders but the duel tank may be a challenge . Concerned about the gas fill areas ( vinyl and adhesive deterioration/ failures )
Any suggestions