Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recommendations for cutter control software?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by rm5690, Aug 27, 2019.

1. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    I'm looking for the best options for software to control our Summa S2 T160.
    We're mac based and currently Im just using the free version of MacSignCut that came with it.
    All of our print-and-cut is managed through our Caldera RIP.

I'm new enough to cut vinyl that I don't know what the best functionalities to have are, but we're growing quickly enough that I'm looking for whatever software will help reduce the amount of time it'll take to try and figure out the 1995-esqe, clunky-town interface that MacSign has.

I know I'm gonna have to pay for premium features, I just don't know what premium features are worth having. #n00b

Tags:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. cterrell92

cterrell92 New Member

Jul 24, 2015
    Florida
    I know you said you don’t know what functionalities would be best, but what do you need to be able to do that you can’t/isn’t efficient in macsign cut?

3. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    For starters interface is so unintuitive and clunky.

There have been several times the size of the roll/sheet didnt seem to be communicating correctly between the cutter and the software so the job would run off the side of the media. Other times it's a royal pain to figure out whether to set the "plot page" landscape or portrait.

There's no ability (at least in the free version) to group objects.

I'm sure there's other things I've found annoying but I'm not at my computer so I can't open the software to look at it right now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Would like to chip in that I am looking for recs on software to for a Summa also but for PC or Mac, just has to be better than SignLab :gross

5. OPENSignsInc.

OPENSignsInc. Member

Aug 23, 2015
    Greenville, PA
    On the contrary, I'd recommend signlab if all you're doing is cutting vinyl. They have a cut only version that is cheaper than the print & cut version. I've used signlab since 1998. We started with signlab 6 and we are using 10. It has the disadvantage that you might pay more up front, but there are no subscription fees (it gives me peace of mind/do I have enough in the bank for this month?) unless you get tech support (we've only had to upgrade our software when we had to upgrade our printers and they give you 6 months free when you get a new/upgrade)

6. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I am Mac based with a Summa and use SignCut Productivity Pro 1, you pay a yearly fee. Works really well.
    You lay out in Illustrator and cut from .eps file.

7. I am going to try this out.

SingLab makes me want to stab my eyes out.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  8. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

For cut vinyl, nothing beats Sign Wizard. Although it's PC-only, They note this on their website: Note for Mac owners: The software does function properly under VMWare Fusion for the Mac when used with Intel Macs, as well as Parallels for Mac. The USB dongle can be used in the VM.

Although the Pro version has functions for digital printing, the lesser versions are cheaper and are geared for vinyl cutting.

If you want intuitive, Sign Wizard is it.

9. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    we have found that WinPlot works great for what we need on our Summa Plotter.
    and it is free

do all designing and nesting in Corel.
    Export an EPS file into a hot folder and import into WinPlot.
    Yes, you can export directly from Corel, but we have had glitches and unknown lag issues. a dedicated EPS File works best for us, plus this leaves you a file for records of what was done & when​

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. WildWestDesigns

WildWestDesigns Major Contributor

Sep 27, 2010
    I noticed that they didn't mention VirtualBox (although with Apple deprecating OpenGL, may not be worth finding out).

Typically this is proforma with all "stable" software with regards to VMs. Just a way of saying for sure no support if it doesn't work (which I can understand). Doesn't mean that it won't work or even work well, they are just making sure it's understand that absolutely zero support if it doesn't.

One thing that always gets me is this PC and Mac thing here. This is showing my age, but how we all use computers (in terms of this type of software), they are all PCs, so I always laugh when a vendor says PC only or PC/Mac etc. Although, we are going back to the dummy terminal days with SaaS bit. But I digress.

11. James Burke

James Burke Being a grandpa is more fun than working

Jan 2, 2010
    Mitten State
    SL is definitely bare bones (even CP). But it's awesome for "quick & dirty" layouts, and for the badge function. Beyond that, I use Illy and Omega for the fussy stuff.

I'd love to see somebody create a platform that allows you to marry several programs together in one common interface. Now, that would be cool.

JB

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. MI Bearcat

MI Bearcat Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Canton, Michigan
    We also just use the free Winplot that came with the Summa.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. rm5690

rm5690 Member

Jun 27, 2018
    Virginia, USA
    Im definitely going to have to look into these, Signcut has almost won me over already just because it's Swedish designed and I'm Scandinavian haha.

I think my biggest qualm with most cutting software (not to mention a LOT of other equipment control software) is that it's made by engineers who have no idea how normal people interact with it, much less visually oriented right-brainers like me.

I mean, I have a fine art + design background but I can't be the only one working in this visual- based industry who thinks that unintuitive software, thats responsible for controlling the equipment our industry - and livelihoods - relies on, is just downright moronic. It would be like a race car designed with all the pedals and made really small because the engineers decided it was a good idea to save room, or putting a steering wheel on a bike because it was a more ubiquitous method of steering.

Ok I'm done with my rant, back to regular programming..

14. RICHARD SIMMONS

RICHARD SIMMONS Member

Jul 12, 2019
    Panama city, Panama
    From Corel, you can export directly to WinPlot

15. Jgowxio

Jgowxio New Member

May 31, 2018
    USA
    You can try EasyCut Pro software, it is a very professional cutting software for a wide range of cutting machines, and most importantly, it is a one-time paid software.