Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Recommendations for repairing a sign

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by MIPDan, Sep 17, 2019.

1. MIPDan

MIPDan New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA
    I have been asked to repair a vinyl sign that is coming apart at two seams. I have an eco-solvent printer and am debating between various options, anywhere as simple putting lamination over the area coming up to redoing the bottom foot of the sign from edge to edge. I don't think just laminating will look right, lay flat or stay in place, but it is an option. What recommendations do you veterans have? I know the back of the sign is wood, but I'm not positive that the vinyl is directly affixed to that.

I am attaching some pictures.

Attached Files:

Tags:
  2. JBurton

JBurton Signtologist

Sep 28, 2017
    Arkansas
    It looks like dibond that is delaminating, but its hard to say.
    If its just vinyl lifting and not very far away, I'd offer to slap some laminate on it for free, but think of me on your next sign purchase!

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Jack Walker

Jack Walker New Member

Sep 13, 2019
    Baltimore, Maryland
    i'm guessing that this was not your original artwork? The only clean way to do it would be to print the bottom section of the sign and patch it. Patching it with laminate would be a good temporary patch at best. Good Luck!

4. MIPDan

MIPDan New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA
    No it isn't my artwork, but they asked me to make a smaller reproduction for the back entrance. I should be able to find a similar background if I have to reprint.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

slapping lipstick on a pig.......

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Looks like cuts and seams all over that thing. I would tell them, it's not easy to fix so many problems, unless you have the original artwork. Ask them if they have it, and if not, offer a real fix. No sense fixing something that's gonna continue falling apart. Then, you can correct all the horrible visibility problems, too.

I was just there a few months ago. Used to go there at least twice a month when I was a kid, before malls, shopping centers and whatnot. It's hardly any Plain People there like the old days.

7. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    If they give you the original file, print a patch, otherwise anything more than a clear patch is a waste of time, just redo the whole sign.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. MIPDan

MIPDan New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA
    Thanks for the input. I have
    I have a booth there where I mostly do sublimation work, but have been doing more small signs, banners and decals for various vendors there and the local communities.

9. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Is that place still only open Friday's ?? Next time I'm up, I'll look ya up. What building are ya in ??

10. MIPDan

MIPDan New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA
    I think now I am leaning towards laminating that area and seeing how it fairs through the winter. Then we can reassess the sign and see how it is doing.

11. MIPDan

MIPDan New Member

Jan 28, 2019
    Harrisburg, PA
    Still open only on Fridays. I am in building 1 between the ice cream stand, the pickle stand and the fresh pasta salads.