• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Recommendations for repairing a sign

MIPDan

I have been asked to repair a vinyl sign that is coming apart at two seams. I have an eco-solvent printer and am debating between various options, anywhere as simple putting lamination over the area coming up to redoing the bottom foot of the sign from edge to edge. I don't think just laminating will look right, lay flat or stay in place, but it is an option. What recommendations do you veterans have? I know the back of the sign is wood, but I'm not positive that the vinyl is directly affixed to that.

I am attaching some pictures.

Attachments

• Full sign.jpg
    Full sign.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 293
  • Close up 1.jpg
    Close up 1.jpg
    397.6 KB · Views: 271

Jack Walker

i'm guessing that this was not your original artwork? The only clean way to do it would be to print the bottom section of the sign and patch it. Patching it with laminate would be a good temporary patch at best. Good Luck!

MIPDan

No it isn't my artwork, but they asked me to make a smaller reproduction for the back entrance. I should be able to find a similar background if I have to reprint.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Looks like cuts and seams all over that thing. I would tell them, it's not easy to fix so many problems, unless you have the original artwork. Ask them if they have it, and if not, offer a real fix. No sense fixing something that's gonna continue falling apart. Then, you can correct all the horrible visibility problems, too.

I was just there a few months ago. Used to go there at least twice a month when I was a kid, before malls, shopping centers and whatnot. It's hardly any Plain People there like the old days.

Billct2

If they give you the original file, print a patch, otherwise anything more than a clear patch is a waste of time, just redo the whole sign.

MIPDan

Thanks for the input. I have
Looks like cuts and seams all over that thing. I would tell them, it's not easy to fix so many problems, unless you have the original artwork. Ask them if they have it, and if not, offer a real fix. No sense fixing something that's gonna continue falling apart. Then, you can correct all the horrible visibility problems, too.

I was just there a few months ago. Used to go there at least twice a month when I was a kid, before malls, shopping centers and whatnot. It's hardly any Plain People there like the old days.
I have a booth there where I mostly do sublimation work, but have been doing more small signs, banners and decals for various vendors there and the local communities.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is that place still only open Friday's ?? Next time I'm up, I'll look ya up. What building are ya in ??

MIPDan

If they give you the original file, print a patch, otherwise anything more than a clear patch is a waste of time, just redo the whole sign.
I think now I am leaning towards laminating that area and seeing how it fairs through the winter. Then we can reassess the sign and see how it is doing.

MIPDan

Is that place still only open Friday's ?? Next time I'm up, I'll look ya up. What building are ya in ??
Still open only on Fridays. I am in building 1 between the ice cream stand, the pickle stand and the fresh pasta salads.