• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Recommendations

tyzero

Need some input.

Have to fully wrap some cars this month. Midsize sedans. Nothing curvy like an HHR or Beetle. I need a printable vinyl that is 54" or 60" wide. Something that will last for up to 1 calender year. Customer doesn't need laminate. They will crush the car when done with project. Something probably 3mils or 4mils. Possibly with an air release pattern.

Looked at busmark, arlon, or mactac. Not looking for show quality wrap. Needs to be conformable, repositionable though. Inexpensive to middle of the road cost.

What would you choose?

Thanks sign 101

Pat Whatley

Want to guess how many times I've heard "just needs to last a year" to be followed by a call two years later bitching that the material is failing?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like Pat said..... they told you they want it down, dirty and cheap.... so you're gonna try to re-invent the wheel ??

Give them your price based on your shop's normal routine, so you are working with a product you know and understand, then give them a discount if you feel compelled. Why should you lower your standards because your customer is punkin' out ?? You will lose all profits saved by skimping when things go mechanically wrong, and then you'll be losing money on the job. Who do you want upset..... them or you ?? Remember, you're job is to do a job and do it correctly.

Ever go to the dentist and say.... hey doc, I have this horrible cavity and it hurts like crazy when I chew on it. Fix it temporarily and I'll take care of having it pulled in two months ??

Go with some cheaper media and watch the fireworks in a few months or so begin and you won't be able to talk yourself outa the whole mess they created for you.

HulkSmash

Jesus, no lam? Have fun installing that 15 times without lam. It will rip every time you try to heat around a contour.

You'll save time in labor, and materials if you just do it right the first time.

Pat Whatley

Never use calendered vinyl without lam.

There....is that better? :ROFLMAO:

Or ever better....
Don't never use calendered vinyl with no lam.
Triple negative makes it more better. Instead of cancelling out it puts it back in.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, I think as long as you would entertain the idea of using the wet method and soak the livin' daylights out of it, you'll get by.......... :rolleyes: with or without laminate................ :popcorn:

tyzero

Oh Believe me 180c would be sweet. But they cannot justify crushing a car after 1 year with that much money into the wraps!

Ive laid thousands of miles of vinyl and when this came up I laughed them right out the door. My reaction was NO Way! You want cheap I can sell you duct tape and knock yourself out.

Never used calandered other than cheap golf signs and would never think to put it onto a wrap but there is a first for everything.

Also the legal sign off sheet will be looked over by our attorneys and believe me CYA will be in it.

Thanks for the help again!

HulkSmash

Oh Believe me 180c would be sweet. But they cannot justify crushing a car after 1 year with that much money into the wraps!

Ive laid thousands of miles of vinyl and when this came up I laughed them right out the door. My reaction was NO Way! You want cheap I can sell you duct tape and knock yourself out.

Never used calandered other than cheap golf signs and would never think to put it onto a wrap but there is a first for everything.

Also the legal sign off sheet will be looked over by our attorneys and believe me CYA will be in it.

Thanks for the help again!

good luck getting the job. That's a difficult situation... hope all goes well

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
See if the new Oracal 3751 might be within the budget.
I have not been able to get pricing on it from my supplier but it
is supposed to be closer in cost to calendered vs cast hp.
It is a 2.25mil film so install is going to be tricky without lamination to stiffen it a bit.

wayne k
guam usa

cdiesel

Dammit. :banghead:

But for the record...... Never use calendered vinyl with no lam.... is a double negative therefore rendering it an improperly structured sentence.

I just gave myself a headache writing that sentence.

...might as well be a dangling modifier...